A cookie-like exterior and a cake-like interior, make these Coconut Macadamia Nut Blondies the perfect transportable treat for any celebration. A unique dessert everyone will love!
Labor Day has always meant a lot to me and my family. It’s a day dedicated to all the hard workers who have contributed to the well-being of the great United States. My parents emigrated to the U.S. from Thailand seeking the American dream and hoping to make a better life for themselves. We live a comfortable life now because of all that my parents did! So, Labor Day is not only a day off for our family, but it’s a way to honor the melting pot of people who are willing to work hard for what they want in life in the land of opportunity!
Coconut Macadamia Nut Blondies Recipes
What are your plans for Labor Day? Whether you’re hosting a backyard BBQ or headed to a friend’s potluck, or just lounging on the recliner all day reflecting on how hard you’ve worked in your life, make it a little extra sweet with these Coconut Macadamia Nut Blondies. They’re so quick to whip up and easy to transport because you can stack them! Can’t do that with cupcakes (even though I LOVE cupcakes too).
Although I love chocolate, I’m not the greatest fan of brownies. I am partial to blondies. I love the cookie-like exterior and the cake-like interior. Being made with brown sugar, they have a wonderful butterscotch flavor. Now, add in the coconut and macadamia nuts and it’s like a little present straight from Hawaii! I’d say that’s not a bad way to celebrate all your hard work, wouldn’t you?
To make removing the blondie slab as easy as possible, make sure to line your pan with foil, making sure there’s an overhang over each side. Then, grease the foil! I used coconut oil for that extra hint of coconut flavor. Once the slab is cool, you simply grab the overhang from two opposite sides and remove the entire slab. Finally, use a sharp knife to cut into even bars. Easy peasy!
- Coconut oil to grease
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg plus 1 yolk
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts, chopped and toasted*
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted*
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8 by 8-inch baking pan with a foil sling greased with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the butter and sugar until mostly smooth. Whisk in the egg, yolk, and extracts. Stir the flour into the butter mixture in three additions. Fold in the macadamia nuts and coconut.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and use the back of a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to spread the batter to all corners and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes, rotating at about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan on a cooling rack for 2 hours. Use the overhang as handles to remove the slab from the pan. Cut into 9 equal pieces with a sharp knife.
Home Chef Tip: To toast the macadamia nuts and coconut, heat in a skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until golden. For a more traditional blondie, substitute the macadamia nuts with chocolate chips and the coconut with 1/2 cup of pecans, chopped and toasted. Omit the coconut extract.
We hope you love this recipe for Coconut Macadamia Nut Blondies from SoFabFood Contributor, Patty from The PKP Way, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this delicious dessert, be sure to stop by our desserts section for even more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss another recipe, and for daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!