This simple Apple Cinnamon Fruit Leather is a must make! You get all of the feelings of eating store-bought fruit roll ups without any of the yucky additives making it a fun and healthy snack perfect for fall.
This year, my family moved to NYC from rural Pennsylvania so we are experiencing our first fall in the big city. I have begun to notice that many families in the city seem to hold sacred the fall ritual of escaping the city for a day of apple picking! When I lived in Pennsylvania, apple picking was something we almost tried to avoid since spending time in an orchard or on a farm was so commonplace. However, when you live here, leaving the city to pick apples is an event! It’s a chance to slow down and reconnect with a simpler time, get your hands dirty, and get some fresh air.
Not wanting to miss out, we went along with some friends recently and we came back with apples coming out of our ears. As a result, I have been forced to find a way to use those sweet beauties in a bunch of different ways, and one of my favorites has been making this Apple Cinnamon Fruit Leather!
Apple Cinnamon Fruit Leather Recipe
This is the most simple recipe that requires zero special equipment. Plus, it is so delicious that the sheets just disappear minutes after they cool from the oven. Here is how you do it:
- 4 cups of peeled, chopped apples
- ½ cup water
- 1-2 tablespoons granulated sugar (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wash, peel, and chop apples and place them in a medium saucepan.
- Add ½ cup water and simmer. Cover and cook about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add granulated sugar and cinnamon. Cook 2-3 more minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Put mixture into a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Pour onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread with a spatula into a thin layer.
- Bake at 170ºF for 2-3 hours or until it's tacky.
- Let cool and peel off in strips. Roll strips and store in an air-tight container or serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: This recipe is fun because you can easily create several variations! You can split the amount of apples in half and add 2 cups of berries or another complimentary fruit flavor. You could also swap out cinnamon for a different kind of spice like pumpkin pie spice to create delicious flavor combinations!
This fruit leather is a must make! You get all of the feelings of eating store-bought fruit roll ups without any of the yucky additives making it a fun and healthy snack. Plus, you can make this exact recipe with applesauce if you have that on hand! Just skip the stove top steps and spread it on your parchment, sprinkle with cinnamon, and follow the same baking directions. However, be ready once you pull them out to get your hands on a couple of strips fast before they’re gone.
We hope you enjoy this Apple Cinnamon Fruit Leather from SoFabFood Home Chef, Liz from Pretty Life Girls, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Dessert Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!