For some people, gaining weight is harder than you think! If you’re struggling to put on a few pounds, here are 5 healthy ways to gain weight that you will find useful on your journey to becoming healthier and stronger.
Believe it or not, gaining weight for some people can be just as hard as losing weight for others. You don’t just have to eat more food, the food you eat needs to have high nutritional value. What you put into your body while trying to gain weight will have a significant impact on your health, energy level, and mood. Here are 5 Healthy ways to help you gain weight if you’re currently dealing with this in your life.
- Eat Smarter – Choosing nutritional, high calorie foods versus eating more can be a big help. Always add grains, whole wheat pasta, and beans to your plate. Try adding Quinoa into your diet, it is the only whole grain with 9 essential amino acids and has 222 calories per cup.
- Add High Calorie Snacks to Your Day – Instead of trying to pack in a few big meals, eat smaller meals more often with high calorie snacks like a banana dipped into peanut butter in between instead. The banana itself has 120 calories and packs a heavy nutritional value. Bananas are rich in vitamin A, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6, folic acid, fiber, and potassium. Eating granola throughout the day can help too. One cup contains roughly 597 calories, almost the same as a full meal!
- Smoothies – Start your day with a smoothie. This is where you can add high calorie nutritional fruits, protein, yogurt, oats, and greens. Some of our favorites for putting on a few pounds are Strawberry Avocado Smoothie Recipe, Strawberry Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie, Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie, Chocolate Banana Smoothie, and Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie.
- Be patient – Just like losing weight, it does not happen overnight. Be patient and consistent. Stay away from the scale for a few days.
- Exercise – Believe it or not, exercise will help stimulate your appetite so you’ll eat more and gain some weight. A brisk walk or bike ride for 20-30 minutes will make you feel hungry. Lifting heavy weights builds muscle, which is denser than fat, so when you do gain weight, your body looks lean rather than soft. Aim for at least two total-body, resistance-training workouts weekly.
We hope you found these 5 healthy ways to gain 10 pounds helpful. For more informational posts like this, be sure to stop by our Food and Fitness section to help you out in your quest for a healthier, happier you!
Disclosure: The author of this article is not a trained medical professional, nor a dietician. All of the information in this post is based on research, doctor recommendations, and personal experience.