Mexican Chicken Gumbo is packed with flavor and served topped with avocado, cilantro, lime juice, and tortilla strips. The perfect 30-minute weeknight dinner or tailgating food, this budget-friendly dish is a one-pot meal everyone will love!
After spending two weeks in Mexico, I’ve been all about Mexican recipes. With the addition of the Mexican toppings – think avocado, cilantro, and lime juice – any dish can be transformed from average to spectacular. It is simply amazing how much flavor is added with those three ingredients and what a crucial part they play in the cuisine.
Instead of a traditional gumbo, since I’ve got all Mexican flavors on the mind, I wanted to make a Mexican fusion gumbo.
What makes Mexican Chicken Gumbo different?
Think tomato base and black beans with spices such as paprika, cumin, cayenne, and chipotle in adobo. This mix cooks together with a bit of broth, onions, and garlic until all those flavors are perfectly infused. In order to cut down on the acidity of canned tomatoes, I always add just a bit of sugar. It makes a world of difference! While the gumbo is cooking, prep your other ingredients. Shred or chop up the rotisserie chicken, cube the avocado, and dice the cilantro.
Last but not least, lightly pan fry some tortillas and cut into thin strips for your very own homemade tortilla-style chips! Who knew it was so easy to make homestyle tortilla chips?!
For this Mexican gumbo once everything is cooked, place some rice in a bowl, top with the gumbo and chicken, and then layer on the additional flavor enhancers – cubed avocado, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Nothing beats a budget-friendly weeknight dinner!
This Mexican Chicken Gumbo makes for the perfect easy weeknight dinner. You can have a hearty dinner on the table in just 30 minutes. The flavors blend together marvelously and in less than an hour you will have transported yourself to Mexico! A family favorite for both kids and adults.
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 small flour tortillas
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 cup rice, cooked according to package directions
- 1 cup chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 avocado, cubed
- handful cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, cut in half
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-heat in a deep skillet or pot.
- Add onions and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add paprika, cayenne, oregano, cumin, chipotle pepper, and salt to taste. Mix. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, sugar, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add black beans. Continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- In a separate pan heat remaining olive oil. Cook the tortillas until browned on each side and cut into long strips.
- Serve gumbo over rice topped with chicken, with a side of cubed avocado, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
Home Chef Tip: In order to cut down on the acidity of the canned tomatoes, add 1/2 teaspoon sugar to the mix!
We hope you love this Mexican Chicken Gumbo recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Victoria from Avocado Pesto, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, be sure to visit our 30-Minute Meal Section for more easy weeknight dinner ideas. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!