These takeout-inspired spicy Firecracker Chicken Bowls are a cheap healthy meal that’s perfect for a date night dinner or weeknight meal. A budget-friendly, restaurant-quality, 30-minute meal.
Are you ready to add a little spice to your weeknight?
Rather than going for the takeout menu, these simple Firecracker Chicken Bowls are a great way to enjoy something that’s both tasty and on the healthy side. The firecracker sauce, made with hot sauce and chili flakes, adds just the right amount of spice to your dish, and the combination of chicken, broccoli, and brown rice makes for a well-balanced meal. Sometimes, that’s all I really need!
Are you cooking for two?
I cook for two every day, so I’ve learned to adjust my favorite recipes to work for just two people. We’re snackers, so I tend to go for smaller meals. We generally split a large chicken breast between the two of us, so following the majority of recipes would yield way too many leftovers. I’ve learned to adjust traditional recipes to avoid that.
I’ve found what works for us. When recipes call for three pounds of chicken, I adjust to less than one pound unless I want leftovers. That being said, maybe others eat more than we do, but I have a bad habit of snacking on popcorn right before dinner…and after dinner…and pretty much at all hours.
What’s in the Firecracker Chicken Sauce?
I’ve made similar recipes with different sauces, like teriyaki chicken, which I also make often, but I had to switch it up. Firecracker sauce is really easy because most of the flavor comes from the hot sauce, so you don’t need much in the house to put it together. I also tend to make extra sauce and save it for later. It’s also really tasty over meatballs!
The first time I made it, I overdid it on the hot sauce and couldn’t use very much of it for fear of my taste buds, so I added a little less hot sauce and a little more sugar and vinegar to balance it out. It’s still spicy, but I think it’s just the right amount. Be sure to adjust it for your own preferences though!
These firecracker chicken bowls do make great leftovers for lunch or meal prep if you decide to double the recipe!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 lb (8 oz) chicken breast, cubed
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown rice
- 1/2 cup hot sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- Cook the rice according to package directions and set aside.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Then add the chopped broccoli and blanch about 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot, stir together the hot sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and red pepper flakes, and heat until just sizzling.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and a small amount of water until it forms a paste. Mix into the sauce.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for about 5 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce cooks, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken with salt and pepper until internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
- Toss the broccoli with the chicken, and stir in the sauce.
- Serve over rice with additional red pepper flakes if desired.
Home Chef Tip: Add any veggies you have in the house for a stir-fry style dish!
We hope you enjoy these Firecracker Chicken Bowls from SoFabFood Home Chef, Holly from Club Crafted, as much as we do. If you love this easy recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our 30-Minute Meals Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!