This simple Cajun Gumbo is French comfort food at its finest. A 30-minute gumbo recipe with white fish, shrimp, sausage, okra, and rice that’s so quick and easy, it’s perfect for a weeknight dinner or affordable entertaining!
This quick and easy shrimp and sausage gumbo recipe is a family favorite in my household. In fact, it seems to be a favorite of anyone who gets a chance to taste this yummy recipe. My mom and I have a tradition of hosting an annual soup and stew dinner party together over the past 10 years. I usually make a carrot ginger soup and my mom makes gumbo along with one or two other soup recipes. But my mom has been making gumbo since I can remember and it’s so good that she has been known to use this savory seafood stew as payment for services. Fortunately, she passed on her recipe to me and I’m able to share it with you.
Do you love classic Cajun Gumbo?
A few years ago, I took a trip down to Bourbon Street in New Orleans. I loved the music, atmosphere, and the architecture, but the real enjoyment was all about the food. Although everything at each of the restaurants was super tasty, I still prefer my mom’s shrimp and sausage gumbo recipe over it all. The combination of delicate white fish, shrimp, and sausage with a rich, spicy tomato and chicken broth, along with okra and bay leaves will have your mouth watering for sure. So delicious! You can enjoy this shrimp and sausage gumbo by itself or over rice.
A 30-minute gumbo recipe? You betcha!
Not only is this shrimp and sausage gumbo recipe sure to become a favorite in your home, it’s surprisingly quick and easy to make. It only takes 30-40 minutes from start to finish before you and your family will be enjoying a big bowl of this classic comfort food.
If you’re looking for another yummy seafood recipe, check out this scrumptious Lobster Bruschetta recipe!
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 medium onion
- 8 oz white fish such as cod, flounder, or halibut
- 12 oz. smoked beef sausage
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 12 oz spicy tomato juice cocktail
- 3 bay leaves
- 7 oz chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped okra
- 1 lb raw shrimp
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the celery and onion and sauté in the butter over medium heat.
- Push onion and celery to the side of pan and add fish. Cook until fish is opaque, then stir to break fish into small bite-size pieces.
- Add diced or sliced sausage and heat through.
- Add spicy tomato cocktail juice, tomatoes, chicken stock, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil.
- Add okra. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add shrimp.
- Boil until shrimps form a C.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve as a soup or over a scoop of rice.
Home Chef Tip: Use whole bay leaves to make removal easier.
We hope you love this Classic Cajun Gumbo recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Jordan from Jordan’s Easy Entertaining. If you enjoyed this comfort food recipe, visit our Seafood Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!