You’re going to love this thick and creamy Strawberry Chia Seed Pudding recipe. Layered with homemade strawberry sauce, this is an easy and delicious gluten free dessert.
Have you jumped on the chia seed pudding band wagon yet? Yes, chia pudding is a bit trendy, but it’s also easy, healthy, and delicious!
Chia seed pudding is made by combining milk, chia seeds, and sweetener. Simply mix it up, place it in the fridge for a few hours, and let the chia seeds work their magic. There is no thickener or cooking necessary; the chia seeds magically plump up and turn the mixture into “pudding”. My husband compares chia pudding to tapioca pudding, which is the perfect comparison. It’s thick and creamy, slightly sweet, and super satisfying.
Gluten Free Strawberry Chia Seed Pudding Recipe
This Strawberry Chia Seed Pudding recipe is sweetened with pure maple syrup and flavored with vanilla extract and coconut milk. I layer the pudding with a homemade strawberry sauce, which adds a fantastic pop of color and flavor to complement the pudding. If I’m being completely honest, the hardest part of this recipe is waiting (tick tock, tick tock) for the pudding to thicken in the fridge.
My family loves pudding. On Celebrating Sweets, I’ve shared Vanilla Pudding, Nutella Pudding, and Coconut Pudding Dip, and although those are all delicious, sometimes we need a healthier pudding option.
Not only is this recipe healthy, but it is also naturally gluten free. We have friends and family members who follow gluten free diets and I am always on the lookout for tasty gluten free recipes. This pudding fits the bill perfectly. I almost always have all the ingredients on hand, and it is loved by everyone.
In addition to dessert, I also occasionally serve this for breakfast (my kids go crazy for it). Since it contains plenty of real food ingredients, fiber, and protein, I feel like it can double as breakfast or dessert. You can even enjoy it as a midday snack; it’s definitely better for you than the coffee and candy bar you want to reach for at 3:00 pm.
- 2 cups vanilla coconut milk (I use unsweetened)
- ⅓ cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4-6 tablespoons pure maple syrup (adjust according to your taste preference)
- Generous ½ cup chia seeds
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 scant tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 cups chopped or sliced fresh strawberries
- Coconut whipped cream, optional (for serving)
- Combine all ingredients except chia seeds and whisk to combine. Add chia seeds and stir until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to overnight.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine orange juice, sugar and cornstarch, stirring until combined. Add strawberries and stir. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mixture will be fairly thick and juicy and the strawberries should still be holding some of their shape. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled.
- Layer pudding and strawberries in glasses or trifle dishes. Top with coconut whipped cream, if desired.
Home Chef Tip: For a shortcut, toss fresh strawberries in strawberry jam and use that in place of the strawberry sauce.
We hope you love this Strawberry Chia Seed Pudding recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Allison from Celebrating Sweets, as much as we do. If you like this recipe, be sure to stop by our Dessert Section for even more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and be sure to like us on Facebook and find us on Pinterest for even more fabulous dessert inspiration. Enjoy!