Think you can’t enjoy decadent desserts on a Keto Diet? These 4-gram net carb Keto Strawberry Shortcake Donuts tell another tale! Baked to perfection, topped with no-sugar whipped cream and fresh strawberries.
Before I started a Keto way of eating, strawberry shortcake was my favorite dessert so I absolutely had to make sure I could keep enjoying my shortcake without guilt. And who doesn’t love dessert for breakfast? That’s why this donut-turned-dessert is the perfect solution! Introducing your new favorite low-carb dessert….these Keto Strawberry Shortcake Donuts!
Low Carb & Keto Baking
Keto baking doesn’t have to be difficult if you have the right tools and ingredients. Once you have your Keto pantry stocked, these donuts whip up in 20 minutes and are perfect for breakfast prep and dessert.
The most important pantry ingredients are finely-ground almond flour and xanthan gum. Xanthan gum is a naturally-occurring starch that gives gluten-free baked goods their chewier texture. Just remember, a little xanthan gum goes a long way!
Since the batter isn’t liquid enough to pour, but too thick to spread, a pastry bag is a perfect way to get a smooth donut. Just fill the bag (or a plastic bag), snip the tip, and your donut pan will be perfectly filled every time!
Tips For The Perfect Keto Shortcakes:
My biggest tip for making the perfect Keto shortcakes is to let your donuts completely cool before slicing and assembling. The donuts firm up as they cool, but can be very delicate while still warm. Once they are cool, layer them with freshly sliced strawberries and a layer of no-sugar whipped cream. I promise you’ll never miss traditional shortcake or donuts again!
If you are unsure about low carb sweeteners, my personal favorite is a sweetener blend of erythritol and stevia. Stevia and erythritol are natural ingredients sourced from plants and have little to no effect on digestion. You can find these blends at the grocery store in granulated and powdered or “confectioner style”!
- 1 cup Almond Flour, sifted
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- 2 tbsp Granulated Sugar-Free Sweetener of choice
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ cup Sour Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5 Medium Strawberries, sliced
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest (optional)
- Beat the heavy cream and sweetener until soft peaks form. Keep refrigerated until you're ready to assemble the donuts.
- Heat oven to 375ºF and spray a donut pan with cooking oil.
- Combine the almond flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, and sweetener, and whisk to combine.
- Beat the eggs, vanilla, and sour cream until smooth.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix to combine.
- Fill a pastry bag or plastic bag with the batter and cut the tip about two inches up. If the opening doesn't give you a wide enough strip of batter, just cut off a little extra.
- Fill the cavities about ¾ full and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the tops lightly brown.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing.
- Slice each donut and top with a few berry slices, lemon zest, and a dollop of whipped cream.
Total Carb Count - 5g Net Carb Count - 4g
Home Chef Tip: Double this recipe and freeze the extras for a quick and easy breakfast or dessert!
We hope you love these Keto Strawberry Shortcake Donuts from SoFabFood Home Chef, Liz from Inspector Gorgeous, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this low carb dessert, be sure to stop by our desserts section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!