One-skillet meals are the perfect way to make you feel like a weeknight hero. This incredibly simple One-Skillet Shepherds Pie recipe is a protein and veggie-packed supper that can be ready in about 30 minutes!
Traditional Shepherds Pie is a classic British dish with ground meat (typically lamb), vegetables, gravy, and mashed potatoes. It’s a hearty and economical dish that is sure to satisfy. Although absolutely delicious, the classic version contains many steps, a good amount of time, and plenty of pans to achieve. Here in the SoFabFood kitchen, we try to keep things simple and a little bit healthier whenever we can which brings us to this delightful One-Skillet Shepherds Pie recipe. Although not deemed a “heart healthy recipe”, this recipe is quite a bit lower in sodium than the traditional versions and it’s just as scrumptious!
One-Skillet Shepherds Pie Recipe
We start by browning lean ground turkey in a large skillet, then draining and adding in a can of low sodium cream of mushroom soup and some Mrs. Dash® Onion and Herb Seasoning Mix. Once that has time to simmer a bit, add in two cans of no salt added mixed vegetables for another quick simmer.
Use leftover mashed potatoes, make them from scratch, or use potato flakes you can make in the microwave and top the meat and vegetable mixture, kind of like a pie crust. The cheese is totally optional, but we highly recommend it. If you’re using cheese, sprinkle some on top, cover, and let it heat over low for about eight minutes, just until the cheese melts.
That’s it! About 30 minutes, one skillet, and you have a complete meal to serve up to your family that’s both economical and satisfying. Meat and potatoes, just doesn’t get much better than that, does it?
- 1.5 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 10.5-oz can low sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 2 tbsp Mrs. Dash® Onion & Herb Seasoning Mix
- 2 15-oz cans no salt added mixed vegetables, drained
- 4 cups mashed potatoes (leftover, homemade, or prepared flakes)
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese, optional
- In a large skillet, brown ground turkey over medium heat until almost cooked through, drain.
- Add soup and seasonings to turkey and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain mixed vegetables and add the to the turkey mixture, stirring to combine.
- Reduce heat to low, cover with a layer of prepared mashed potatoes and shredded cheese (if using), cover, and simmer for about 8 minutes, until everything is heated through and cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
Home Chef Tip: To make this a 30 minute meal, prepare mashed potatoes using flakes in the microwave while the turkey is browning.
We hope you love this One-Skillet Shepherds Pie recipe as much as we do. If you love this delightful recipe, stop by our One Pot Meals section to find more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and for daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!.