Chicken Hawaiian Haystacks is a 30-minute meal with a rice base topped with chicken gravy, chopped tomatoes, peas, pineapple, chow mein noodles, cheese, and coconut flakes. This budget-friendly dish is a one-pot, 4-person $10 meal that’s comfort food at its finest.
A 30-Minute Comfort Food Perfect for Busy Moms!
I’m a busy mom and a thrifty woman. With that said, one of my favorite healthy budget meals is Hawaiian Haystacks. This is a great meal for busy moms because it is easy to make and you don’t really need to serve any sides with it! After all the toppings, Hawaiian Haystacks is a whole meal in itself and sides become unnecessary.
Hawaiian haystacks are so easy and so versatile! Follow the super easy recipe below to try out this recipe with your family.
What you need to make Hawaiian Haystacks:
For the Rice:
For the Chicken Gravy:
Hawaiian Haystacks are easy to prepare!
- 1 cup dry white rice
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 bouillon cubes (chicken flavor with herbs and spices)
- 1 can chicken breast chunks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup peas
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 can pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup chow mein noodles
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or fiesta blend)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Cook white rice on the stove or in a rice cooker according to package directions.
- Make chicken gravy. To begin, put bouillon cubes into chicken stock and microwave for one minute in a microwave safe bowl. Crush bouillon cubes and stir to dissolve, then set aside.
- Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. As soon as butter is melted, stir in the flour working to get out any lumps.
- Whisk mixture while slowly adding in chicken stock. Whisk continuously to stop lumps from forming. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Once gravy is thickened, turn off heat and stir in canned chicken and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- To plate, start with a bed of rice and pour on the chicken gravy. Add peas, chopped tomatoes, pineapple chunks, chow mein noodles, shredded cheese, and coconut flakes. Enjoy!
Home Chef Tip: If you don't have bouillon cubes, you can add some of the following spices to your gravy: 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, and 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary.