These Vegetable Stuffed Tater Tots are a freezer-friendly appetizer or 25-minute side dish. If you love store-bought tots, you’ll absolutely adore these homemade tater tots stuffed with garden veggies!
Let’s make homemade tater tots!
These homemade Tater Tots are stuffed with corn and bell peppers. They are kid-friendly and the perfect way to get your kids to eat more vegetables. And it’s not just kids; adults go crazy for them too. They are crisp on the outside, soft and steaming on the inside.
How to make Vegetable Stuffed Tater Tots:
Start with boiling russet potatoes without peeling or cutting them for about 10 minutes. Let them cool down, peel them, and grate them.
Add the other ingredients to the grated potatoes and add the seasonings and corn starch.
Then prepare the vegetable stuffing for the tater tots.
To stuff the tater tots, I have taken my son’s favorites, corn and bell pepper. You can use any vegetables you’d like. To make the stuffing more delicious, I have added a little bit of Colby Jack cheese with a little bit of chili flakes and salt. Mix well and set aside.
Now take some of the grated potatoes, stuff with a little bit of corn-bell pepper-cheese stuffing. Form the tots into a cylindrical shape and deep fry them until golden brown and crispy. Drain them on a paper towel lined plate.
Plate with ketchup or dipping sauce of choice and dig in.
I know it’s more of a process than store-bought tots, but believe me, they’re worth it. Make these as part of an evening meal and serve with this Creamy Dill Sauce. You will totally love it!
- 1 lb potatoes
- 1 tbsp utter
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro / coriander
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp corn starch / corn flour
- Oil for frying
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- Salt, to taste
- Chili flacks, to taste
- Wash the potatoes and place them in boiling water. Don't cut or peel the potatoes.
- Simmer the potatoes for about 10 minutes or until you can easily insert a knife through the center but are still firm. Drain them and cool.
- Meanwhile prepare the stuffing.
- Place corn, cheese, bell peppers, salt, and chili flakes in a bowl. Mix them very well. Set aside.
- Peel the skin off the potatoes. In a big mixing bowl, shred the potatoes using the largest size of your grater.
- Add all the remaining ingredients. Mix them until well combined.
- Take a portion of the potato mixture, flatten it, and place some stuffing in the middle.
- Cover it and form the tots into cylindrical shape.
- Deep fry them until golden brown and crispy. Place on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Serve and enjoy!
Home Chef Tips: If you don't have garlic salt, add 1/2 tbsp grated garlic and salt to taste. You can use any herb of your choice. Instead of corn starch, you may use all purpose flour too. Only partially boil the potatoes, not fully. You can bake them too. Bake them in preheated oven at 450ºF for about 20 to 25 minutes or until browned and crisp, turning them frequently during baking. These freeze and reheat very well. All you do is place them on a baking sheet, place them in the freezer for about an hour, then transfer them to a freezer safe bag and store them. Whenever you are ready to use, take them out and bake them for about 15 minutes in a 400ºF oven.
Need more snack ideas for your kids? Try these!
We hope you enjoy these Vegetable Stuffed Tater Tots from SoFabFood Home Chef, Dhwani from Cooking Carnival. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Appetizer section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!