A classic chicken and vegetable dish, these Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs are a hearty, Keto-friendly meal. Perfect for outdoor or indoor grilling and made with a customizable homemade teriyaki sauce.
I love grilled food because it’s flavorful and easy to make. However, if you live in an apartment or it’s cold or rainy outside, grilling can be a bit of a challenge. In this easy recipe, I’m using a cast iron grill pan, a few spices, and a Keto-friendly teriyaki sauce to make Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs indoors.
What is a Keto-friendly teriyaki sauce?
This recipe uses a version of the sauce that I enjoyed on my Keto Teriyaki Salmon. What I love about this sauce, is that you can make it with just five main ingredients:
- Soy Sauce
- Keto brown sugar substitute
This sauce is also fully customizable depending on your tastes and the ingredients that you have at home. For example, if you enjoy spicy food, then you can add fresh diced peppers (I’d recommend jalapeño or habanero peppers) or crushed red pepper flakes. You can also add chopped green onions for a fresh bite or Xanthan Gum to make it more like a dipping sauce or glaze.
To make the sauce, just add all of the ingredients to a bowl and whisk! Then, cook the sauce in a pan and allow it to reduce by half.
Tips for Indoor Grilling:
One of the challenges when grilling indoors is controlling the smoke. Some ways that I keep my smoke detectors from going off are:
- Turn on the exhaust fan to the highest setting: Since I know that things are going to get smokey, I turn my kitchen’s exhaust fan on as soon as I start cooking. The exhaust fan will suck out a lot of the smoke.
- Open the kitchen window: In addition to the exhaust fan, I allow some of the smoke to leave by opening up a window.
- Save the sauce for close to the end: In this recipe, I cook the meat and baste with sauce when there are 3-4 minutes remaining of cooking. By waiting to add the sauce, I limit extra smoke. It also prevents the sauce from burning since it’ll cook much faster than the meat.
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup Keto brown sugar substitute
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum, optional to thicken
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 tbsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 bell pepper, cut into “squares”
- 1/2 red onion, cut into “squares”
- 2 tbsp olive oil, for cooking
- Add all of the sauce ingredients to a bowl and whisk to incorporate.
- Heat a saucepan to medium heat and add the whisked sauce.
- Cook the sauce for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The goal of this step is to allow the sauce to reduce by about half and thicken.
- Remove the sauce from the heat.
- Remove the chicken chunks from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before you cook them.
- Mix the five spice powder and sea salt in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the spices over the chicken breast. Use a fork to incorporate the spices on the chicken evenly.
- Preheat your grill pan to medium high heat.
- Stack the chicken chunks and vegetables on your skewers.
- Drizzle some olive oil on the grill pan.
- Cook the chicken breasts for 3 minutes per side (12 minutes total).
- Use a basting brush to add the teriyaki sauce to one side of the chicken. Cook that side for 1 minute. Repeat until all sides are basted.
- Remove the kabobs from the heat. Add more sauce if you wish!
Home Chef Tip: To add a little sweetness to these kabobs, add pineapple chunks as well!
We hope you enjoy these Keto-friendly Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs from SoFabFood Home Chef, Davinah from Dr. Davinah’s Eats. If you love this simple recipe, be sure to visit our Grilling Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!