While your first thought may be hamburgers and hot dogs when it comes to grill-friendly food, nothing tastes as good over the charcoal as Grilled Saffron Chicken Kebabs. Juicy, charbroiled, and perfectly golden, these kebabs take outdoor grilling to the next level.
Outdoor grilling can be a social affair with some good friends, or it can be a tasty alternative to routine dinners with family. There are only so many casseroles and meatloaves a family can take. As we transition into spring and summer, there’s no better time to bust out the grill. These Grilled Saffron Chicken Kebabs are perfect for busy weeknights at home or for cookouts with friends.
A favorite Mediterranean dish, chicken kebabs are typically charbroiled over the grill after being brined and marinated in a delicious mixture of lemon, herbs, and olive oil. The saffron is the tantalizing finishing touch.
Grilled Saffron Chicken Kebabs Recipe
Saffron, a delicate and precious spice, is a pantry staple in Mediterranean households. Aside from its lovely, honey-like flavor, golden hue, and aromatic quality, saffron has numerous health benefits. Using saffron on your chicken just means you get to eat scrumptious chicken that’s healthy too!
These Grilled Saffron Chicken Kebabs are brined a mere 30 minutes before grilling. A quick marinade is whisked together before the brined chicken is tossed in it and set over the grill.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can serve these grilled saffron chicken kebabs as a fun weeknight meal, or as a delectable dinner option for guests.
The kebabs typically consist of vegetables like sliced bell peppers and onions, providing a variety of colors, textures, and flavors on your skewers. Served with basmati rice and/or salad, these skewers are a simple dinner for your family.
Make a gorgeous platter with couscous and tzatziki, and these grilled saffron chicken kebabs are an elevated meal perfect for guests!
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Spray 'N' Serve® Saffron Spray
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- Red pearl onions
- Cut the chicken breasts in 1-inch pieces. To do this, cut each breast in half lengthwise, then cut each of those pieces in half horizontally. Cut the pieces down to 1 inches wide.
- Fill a large bowl with water and salt. Place the cut-up chicken pieces in the brine, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To a large bowl, add all the marinade ingredients. Whisk these ingredients together until combined well.
- Pat dry all the chicken pieces, then put them in the bowl with the marinade. Toss the chicken with the marinade until they're all coated in the mixture.
- To prepare the veggies, cut the bell peppers down to 2-inch pieces. To do this, cut the peppers in half lengthwise, removing the stem and core. Then cut each piece again, lengthwise, before finally cutting each piece in half horizontally. You should end up with 16 pieces total for each bell pepper.
- Slide 1-2 pieces of each type of bell pepper onto the bottom of the skewer. Follow with 5 to 6 pieces of chicken, and a couple of pearl onions.
- Grill the chicken kebabs over medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken reaches 165°F on a thermometer. Immediately spray the chicken with the saffron spray before serving.
Home Chef Tip: Try adding different vegetables to the skewers to suit your family's preferences.
We hope you love this Grilled Saffron Chicken Kebabs recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Beeta from Mon Petit Four, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to stop by our Outdoor Grilling section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!