A farmers market delight, this Grilled Asian Shrimp Naan Pizza is a fresh 30-minute meal that doubles as a simple party appetizer. Take outdoor grilling to a new level of freshness with this simple recipe!
One of my favorite parts of summer is outdoor grilling. My husband and I grill frequently during the summer. Many evenings are spent hanging out on the front porch chatting about life while grilling. We like to grill anything and everything from burgers and brats to veggies and tofu – nothing is off limits when it comes to the grill.
What are you grilling tonight?
Lately we’ve been getting into grilling pizza. Homemade pizza dough is amazing if you have the time, but some nights it’s great to whip up something quick and easy. This Grilled Asian Shrimp Naan Pizza is just the ticket. Naan pizza is just like a regular pizza except that it uses pre-made naan bread instead of pizza dough. The result is these individual pizzas that are totally customizable and perfect for serving up as a party appetizer for a grilling party or as an easy weeknight dinner!
One of my favorite things to grill is seafood. I live in Minnesota – a completely landlocked state where seafood can get pretty expensive. I’ve found that the best way to enjoy seafood without breaking the bank is to get creative with it. Shrimp is some of the tastiest and most versatile seafood out there. I’ve found that a 1-pound bag of shrimp can go a long way when utilized properly.
It’s all in the marinade!
This recipe starts with a quick marinade. Thaw and peel a 1-pound bag of shrimp. Next up is the marinade: Combine 4 cloves of minced garlic, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce, 1 1/2 teaspoons honey, 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar, 1 1/2 tablespoons of lime juice, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Toss the shrimp in the marinade for 5-10 minutes.
After a quick marinade, the shrimp is then placed onto metal skewers. This is a super fast and efficient way to cook the shrimp evenly before it’s added to the naan pizza. Grilling it first caramelizes the honey in the marinade, gives the shrimp some nice grill marks, and ensures that it’s fully cooked.
Feel free to use charcoal, gas, or any type of grill you like for this recipe. My husband and I love our old charcoal grill so that’s the route we go. Simply place the skewers over the direct heat for 1-2 minutes per side. Shrimp cooks very quickly so it won’t take long. Remove the skewers right when the shrimp has cooked (be careful not to overcook) and set aside.
This recipe makes enough for 4 naan pizzas. The next step is to dice 1 bell pepper – feel free to use any color pepper you like. I used red and yellow for variety. Brush the naan with a thin layer of sesame oil before adding the toppings. This adds a depth of flavor. Now add the grilled shrimp, diced peppers, and a thin layer of Monterrey Jack cheese. Is it weird to add cheese to a shrimp pizza? Maybe. Is adding cheese to a shrimp pizza delicious? Definitely.
Outdoor Grilling gets a freshness overhaul!
Now it’s time to add the naan pizza to the grill. Place the pizzas over indirect heat and grill covered for 8-10 minutes. Grilling the pizzas over indirect heat will melt the cheese and slightly cook the peppers while ensuring that the bottom of the pizza doesn’t burn.
Once the cheese has melted, the naan pizza is done! Remove from the grill and finish with a few more fresh farmers market toppings. Sprinkle 1/2 cup or so of chopped spinach, some diced avocado, and some chopped chives over the pizza. Drizzle the whole thing with Sriracha for a little extra kick. I love this naan pizza because it’s fast, flavorful, and utilizes some of my favorite seafood – shrimp – in a cost-effective way. It seems a little fancy, but in reality is totally easy!
- 1 lb shrimp (fresh or frozen)
- 4 pieces naan bread
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 bell pepper (any color)
- 1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese (or cheese of choice)
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 avocado
- 2 green onions for garnish
- Sriracha (optional)
- Thaw and peel a 1-pound bag of shrimp.
- Mince 4 cloves of garlic.
- Dice 1 bell pepper.
- Cut 1 avocado in half and dice into pieces.
- Mince 2 green onions.
- Assemble the marinade: Add 4 cloves garlic, 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce, 1 1/2 tsp honey, 1 tsp rice wine vinegar, 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice, and pinch of salt and pepper to a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add the shrimp to the bowl and marinade for 5-10 minutes.
- Place the shrimp onto skewers.
- Place the shrimp skewers over direct heat on the grill (any type of grill will work). Grill for 1-2 minutes per side. Remove when the shrimp has fully cooked, but be careful not to overcook.
- Brush a layer of sesame oil onto each piece of naan bread.
- Place some of the grilled shrimp, diced peppers, and 1/4 cup or so of cheese onto each piece of naan bread.
- Place the naan pizzas on the grill and cook for 8-10 minutes over indirect heat with the grill covered. This should allow the cheese to melt and the peppers to cook slightly. Be careful that the bottom of the pizzas do not burn. Remove from grill when cooked.
- Sprinkle a handful of chopped spinach and diced avocado onto each pizza. Garnish with the minced green onions and drizzle with Sriracha (optional).
- Cut the pizzas and serve.
Home Chef Tip: Don't have an outdoor grill? The shrimp can be cooked on an indoor grill pan or sautéed in a skillet. Grill or sauté just until cooked through and then finish the pizzas in the oven. Cook for 10 minutes at 400ºF. The cheese should be melted and the edges of the pizza crisp.
We hope you enjoy this Grilled Asian Shrimp Naan Pizza recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Christine from The Rustic Foodie, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our pizza section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!