Stop struggling trying to find a delicious dessert to serve over the holidays to please all of your friends and family members with food allergies this year when you learn to make these simple Cranberry Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies.
Hey SoFabFood readers! I’m Megan – food fanatic, girl with a lot of food intolerances, and the blogger behind A Dash of Megnut, a food blog that focuses on gluten-free and other allergy-friendly recipes. Today I’m beyond excited to share with you one of my favorite cookie recipes for the holidays!
The holidays can be very difficult on those of us with food allergies. Let’s face it…you’re kind of bummed that you don’t get to eat what everyone else is eating and that you sometimes can’t partake in all the food traditions that come with the holidays. I’ve been there, believe me. Wait, I’m still there. It’s also sometimes hard for families and friends to make us food. In my family, I’m the person they’re always worrying about.
I know my friends and family are always wondering, “What in the world can we make Megan for dessert?”. Luckily for them, and for YOU, I’ve got it covered with these Cranberry Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies. These cookies are free from the major allergens (wheat, soy, nuts, eggs, and dairy) and even refined sugar-free. They’re also super easy to make and only contain ingredients that are easy to find – meaning family and friends can easily make these cookies too without having to find any “weird” ingredients or go to specially grocery stores.
The cookies are sweetened mostly with applesauce, which provides a nice texture and flavor. It also kind of puts these in breakfast territory if you want – so yes, you can eat cookies for dessert AND breakfast if you really want to…I won’t tell, I promise! I love the addition of dried cranberries in this recipe, but you could also add some seeds like pepitas or sunflower seeds for a little added texture.
So, whether you’re on a specialty diet, or it’s your loved one that can’t eat certain foods, there’s no need to miss out on all the holiday fun and food!
- 1 cup gluten-free certified oat flour (you can also grind up oats!)
- 1 cup gluten-free certified rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1¼ cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup dairy-free milk of choice (rice milk, soy milk, almond milk, etc., depending on allergies)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- In a bowl, mix together oat flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, combine applesauce, maple syrup, and milk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined. Then stir in the dried cranberries.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon cookie dough onto the baking sheet.
- Bake at 350ºF for 12-15 minutes, until cookies are cooked through and lightly browned.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to continue cooling.
We hope you enjoy this delicious recipe for Cranberry Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies from SoFabFood Contributor, Megan from A Dash of Megnut, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple allergy-friendly dessert idea, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss another one like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!