These Crispy Chickpea Wraps are a high protein, vegetarian lunch loaded with fresh vegetables. The secret to crispy chickpeas in this sandwich wrap is cooking them in the air fryer with minimal oil!
Have you ever cooked with an air fryer?
If you’ve never used an air fryer, it is basically a convection style oven. It circulates hot air around a metal basket which creates a crispy layer on the outside of your food! Thanks to the air fryer, you can get browned, crispy crusts without having to truly “fry” anything.
You can make these Crispy Chickpea Wraps in less than 30 minutes from start to finish, and clean up is minimal. Tossing the chickpeas in the air fryer is as easy as can be.
How will you top these sandwich wraps?
You can customize these wraps any way you like. Not a fan of red onions? Skip it! Don’t have any cucumber? Try bell pepper slices! Have a lemon handy? Try a squeeze on top!
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2 whole grain pitas
- ¼ cup cucumber slices
- ¼ cup tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tbsp diced red onions
- 2 tbsp crumbled feta
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF.
- Spread the chickpeas onto a paper towel and gently pat dry.
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and toss with oil, sea salt, paprika, and garlic powder.
- Cook in the air fryer for 10 minutes, then remove the basket from the fryer and stir or shake to toss the chickpeas.
- Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes until browned and crispy.
- Divide the chickpeas between each pita.
- Top with cucumber, tomato, red onion, feta, and parsley.
Home Chef Tip: Drying the canned chickpeas before tossing them with oil will help ensure they're evenly coated and give you a crispier finish.
I love that these wraps are so filling. It’s almost like an easier version of falafel! Crispy chickpeas are so tasty with fresh, crunchy vegetables. You could even add a dollop of Greek yogurt on top if you want a creamier “sauce” on these wraps.
We hope you love this Crispy Chickpea Wrap recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Liz from I Heart Vegetables. If you enjoyed this easy recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our vegetarian section. For weekly recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest and Instagram. Enjoy!