Make weekly meal prep a breeze with this simple Chicken Fajita Bowl recipe you can customize with your favorite toppings. In just 30 minutes, you can have healthy lunches ready for the whole week!
What’s for lunch?
After a while, don’t we all get sick of sandwiches and salads for lunch?! I know I do, and honestly, I’d much rather have these chicken fajita bowls to meal prep throughout the week than a sad salad from a bag (JK, I actually like salad from a bag). Meal prepping isn’t something I do every week, but there’s no denying it makes cooking easier throughout the week, especially when our schedules are unpredictable. With this easy baked fajitas recipe, I can assemble chicken, veggies, and rice in a way that makes me excited about my meal prep. Goodbye, boring salads and sandwiches!
Home chef tip for success:
Whether you choose to make your own fajita seasoning or buy it, you want to generously season your meat and veggies before baking. Here’s something I like to use in this recipe: olive oil spray. Just like baking spray, you can find ones that are entirely olive oil. I find that the spray ensures everything gets coated so that the seasonings stick. It’s a lot easier than tossing the ingredients a hundred times to spread the oil.
How will you top your chicken fajita bowl?
When you’re ready to enjoy your fajita bowl, whether it’s for lunch or dinner, try to mix in a few tasty toppings like sliced avocado, salsa, lime juice, sour cream, and chopped cilantro. Sure, the chicken, peppers, and rice are pretty good on their own, but the toppings make all the difference. Plus, as far as meals go, I feel pretty good about what I’m eating here. With the addition of avocado (a healthy fat) and low-fat sour cream, I’ve got my food groups covered and don’t feel like I’m over-indulging on any one ingredient.
Depending on the size, you can get 4-5 meals out of this recipe. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- 2 lb chicken breast
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 tbsp fajita seasoning
- Olive oil (spray recommended)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown rice, cooked
- Optional toppings (avocado, sour cream, cheese, cilantro)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat and lightly spray with olive oil.
- Cut the vegetables into strips and lay in a thin layer on the greased baking sheet.
- Cut the chicken into thin, bite-sized strips and lay on top of the vegetables.
- Spray or drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle fajita seasoning all over.
- Toss and add additional fajita seasoning as desired. Adjust the chicken and vegetables so everything is in a single layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Toss, then bake for another 10 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165ºF.
- While the fajitas bake, prepare the rice and any other desired toppings.
- Once cooked, fill containers with half rice, half fajitas. Allow to cool before refrigerating for future meals.
Home Chef Tip: The toppings really make the dish! Once reheated, add a scoop of sour cream, chopped avocado, fresh lime juice, salsa, and chopped cilantro!
We hope you enjoy this Chicken Fajita Bowl Meal Prep Plan from SoFabFood Home Chef, Holly from Club Crafted, as much as we do. If you love this healthy lunch idea, you can find more like it by visiting our Meal Prep Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!