Just like mom used to make only better because the soup doesn’t come out of a can, this healthy comfort food is a deli-style meal you’ll love. Homemade Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese is exactly the 30-minute meal your lunchtime needs!
Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese
Hello everyone! I’m Sara Maniez from Life’s Little Sweets. There are few things as comforting as a bowl of Homemade Tomato Soup with a fresh Grilled Cheese for lunch. This recipe is so easy to make and it’s very satisfying. It sure beats tomato soup out of a can and you don’t have to drive anywhere to get it! Why not opt for a homemade tomato soup that is super easy to make with simple pantry staples instead of store bought or paying too much at your favorite deli?
I picked up some of my favorite provolone cheese from my grocer’s deli to have on hand as an ingredient for quick lunches during the week. You can pick your favorite cheese for the grilled cheese. Muenster, cheddar, and Swiss cheese are all great options as well. If you want to get a little fancier, you can mix two kinds of cheeses in the grilled cheese for a more complex flavor.
Homemade Tomato Soup: A 30-Minute Meal Solution
For ingredients, all you need is garlic, yellow onion, a can of whole peeled tomatoes, and vegetable or chicken broth. Add salt and pepper to taste and I suggest topping with shredded Parmesan cheese.
You will need an immersion blender (preferred option) or regular blender for this recipe to get that lovely blended texture.
Save money with this deli-style meal at home!
If you want to get those perfect grill marks on your grilled cheese sandwich, I suggest using a grill pan. You can grill right on your stove top with one of those. The possibilities are endless and it was a real game-changer when I added one to my kitchen tools. It makes a perfect grilled cheese every time.
Look at that ooey, gooey cheese! Who can resist a bowl of this Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese? Not me! This was always one of my favorite lunches when I was a kid, and even as an adult, this healthy comfort food is still a favorite.
The little bit of minced garlic in this Tomato Soup recipe really adds to the flavor in the soup, so be sure not to skip that ingredient!
You can opt for your favorite kind of bread. In this case, I chose a multi-grain bread to keep things a little healthier. The multi-grain bread adds some texture and crunch which is nice with the soup.
This tomato soup makes enough to serve four people. You can even get six servings out of it, depending on the size of the bowls you use.I suggest using a Dutch oven or large soup pot to make the soup.
Give this homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese deli-style meal a try. You’ll save money, time, and be just as satisfied as you would be if you went out!
- 1 can (28 oz) whole peeled tomatoes, with the canning juice
- 1-2 medium yellow onions
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil, regular
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/2-2 cups chicken or vegetable broth, you can adjust the amount to adjust the thickness of the soup
- 1-2 tbsp unsalted butter, plus more, if needed
- 2 slices bread
- 2-4 slices provolone, cheddar, Swiss, or cheese of your choice
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, pour 1-2 tablespoons regular olive oil, add minced garlic and chopped onions. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until they are translucent.
- Add the can of whole, peeled tomatoes and broth. Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until the tomatoes and onions are puréed. Alternately, you can use a regular blender and blend in batches. Be sure to cover the top with the lid and a dish towel since the soup will be hot.
- Add the blended soup back to the stove top. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. It's ready to serve when your grilled cheese is ready.
- To make the grilled cheese, melt 1-2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a grill pan over medium heat. When the butter is melted, add the 2 slices of bread and the cheese on top. When the cheese starts to look melt-y, using a spatula, make it into a sandwich and press down. Grill until the sandwich reaches the desired crispiness. This takes about 5 minutes depending on the heat of your pan. You can make more grilled cheeses, depending on how many people you are serving. Remember, if you make more sandwiches, you will probably need to add more butter.
- Slice the grilled cheese in half and serve with your tomato soup!
Home Chef Tips: 1. You will need an immersion blender (preferred option) or regular blender for this recipe to get that lovely blended texture. 2. If you want to get those perfect grill marks on your grilled cheese sandwich, I suggest using a grill pan. You can also use a non-stick frying pan if you do not have a grill pan. 3. You can mix 2 kinds of cheeses in the grilled cheese for a more complex flavor.
We hope you enjoy this Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese combo from SoFabFood Home Chef, Sara from Life’s Little Sweets, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Lunch Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!