Why waste money at your favorite sandwich shop when you can make this Mediterranean-inspired Cilantro Jalapeño Hummus Wrap at home. This cheap healthy meal is a 10-minute lunch or dinner with fresh veggies and hummus.
To me lunch is the most complicated meal of the day. Most of us are so busy that getting a healthy, quick, and inexpensive bite can seem completely daunting! Usually our choices are limited to overpriced deli fare or a cheap drive-thru experience that is anything but good for you. A great solution is to recreate your favorite deli-style meal at home with recipes like this Cilantro Jalapeño Hummus Wrap that is full of fresh vegetables.
A 10-Minute Lunch you can make at home!
What you are going to love best about this Cilantro Jalapeño Hummus Wrap recipe is that you can either make the spicy hummus from scratch OR if you are in a pinch, just dress up store-bought hummus with flavor bombs like cilantro, jalapeño, and paprika!
What’s in the hummus wrap?
Once you make the Cilantro Jalapeño Hummus, get creative with the vegetables you include. My favorite local deli sandwich is full of spinach, cucumbers, roasted red peppers, and tomatoes so I echoed those in my sandwich wrap. Feta has just the right amount of tanginess to balance out the fresh flavors!
If you decide to make the hummus from scratch, be sure to check out my post about the uses of Aquafaba. It is the leftover liquid drained off chickpeas and it is an excellent vegan egg white alternative to make meringues. You can even use it as a vegan substitute in cocktails like my Rhubarb Whisky Sour!
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained and liquid reserved
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 small jalapeño pepper, seeds removed if desired
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp paprika
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Sliced tomatoes
- Diced cucumbers
- Roasted red peppers
- Feta cheese
- Flour tortillas or flavored sandwich wraps
- Add the hummus ingredients to a food process. Blend mixture until a it creates a smooth purée. Add more oil or liquid from chickpeas if needed.
- Adjust amount of seasonings for desired taste.
- Spread hummus on tortilla. Top with vegetables. Serve immediately.
- Store hummus leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Home Chef Tip: To jazz up store bought hummus, first blend together cilantro, jalapeño peppers, 1 clove garlic, and paprika. Add 1 10-ounce container plain hummus. Blend to a smooth purée. Add oil or lemon juice if necessary for desired texture.
We hope you enjoy this Cilantro Jalapeño Hummus Wrap recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Loriann from Thyme for Cocktails, as much as we do. If you love this simple deli-style meal, you can find more like it by visiting our Lunch Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!