These Crispy Beet Chips and Potato Chips are a simple and healthy alternative to store-bought chips. With bold, bright colors and fresh veggie flavors, these chips are a sure-fire hit this summer!
With the 4th of July upon us, have you planned your patriotic menu yet? Regardless of whether you’re throwing a massive backyard bash or having a small family get-together, you’ve got to have a plan of how to make your guests feel full and satisfied. Don’t worry, there’s no need to stress about it. After all, holidays are all about relaxing and enjoying good food.
Recently I came up with a red, white, and blue snack idea that is absolutely perfect for Independence Day. My colorful Crispy Beet Chips and Potato Chips are not only delicious and easy to make, they are perfect for all of your patriotic gatherings. On top of that, they require just a few ingredients that you may already have in your kitchen.
Crispy Beet Chips and Homemade Potato Chips
To make these chips as patriotic as possible, I decided to use two kinds of potatoes – regular red potato and blue potato. For a pop of red, I used beet. I sliced my vegetables very thin, soaked them in water to remove the starch, and fried them in batches. Doesn’t it sound easy? It really is that simple to have a homemade party-pleasing appetizer in no time.
If you decide to take your chips up a notch, you can sprinkle them with your favorite spices. Think garlic powder, Italian herbs, smoked paprika, or chili pepper. They will all work great and give this basic recipe a powerful flavor boost.
There are a couple of things you should keep in mind when making these chips:
- After you slice the potatoes, place them in a bowl of cold water for 30 minutes and rinse with clean water a few times until the water runs clear. This will help to release all starch from the potatoes.
- Before throwing potatoes in the hot oil, make sure to wipe the potatoes really well with dry paper towels.
- 2 medium red or russet potatoes
- 2 medium blue potatoes or 5 small blue potatoes
- 1 medium red beet
- 32 oz vegetable oil for frying
- Salt, to taste
- Oil thermometer
- Spices of choice
- Using a mandoline or knife, slice the vegetables into 1/8 inch thick slices. If using a mandoline, use second level of thickness.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl of cold water and let it soak for 30 minutes. Rinse potatoes a few times until water runs clear.
- Using a dry paper towel, pat dry the potatoes really well until they are no longer wet.
- Heat the oil in a medium pot and over medium heat until oil thermometer reaches 350ºF. If you don't have one, wait about 10 minutes and then slowly immerse an edge of the potato slice into the oil. If it starts to sizzle, then oil is ready for cooking.
- Working in batches, place about 8 potato slices in the oil and fry turning constantly for 2-2.5 minutes, until potatoes start to turn golden. Drain on the dry paper towel.
- Continue the process for the beets. Keep a close eye on them. When beets start to turn golden on the edges, remove from the oil and drain.
- Sprinkle chips with salt and spices if you like.
Home Chef Tip: If you have a hard time finding blue potatoes, you can also search for purple carrots. They are often sold in bundles. If you do buy carrots, just like the potatoes, slice them really thin and cut the slice into 2 or 3 pieces.
We hope you enjoy these Crispy Beet and Homemade Potato Chips from SoFabFood Contributor, Iryna from Lavender and Macarons, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our appetizer section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!