Show off your culinary skills with this Classic Beef Stroganoff recipe. Comfort food meets simplicity in this 30-minute meal that’s the perfect easy weeknight dinner, yet fancy enough for entertaining. Everyone will love this simple one-pan meal!
Let’s talk about classic comfort food!
Take this classic Beef Stroganoff full of mushrooms and a savory sour cream gravy. According to the internet – comfort food is a dish that holds nostalgic or sentimental value for a person and/or culture. Also these dishes are typically known to be high in fat and carbs (hello flavor!), as well as easy to prepare. We spend plenty of time revamping the classics here on SoFabFood, but not in this case.
If you are looking for a healthier comfort food recipe – then please check out our Homemade Heart Healthy Marinara Sauce or our other healthier classics. Because this savory Classic Beef Stroganoff recipe isn’t a healthier version. It is traditional, made with butter, sour cream, and rich beef stock. In true comfort food style though, it is also very easy to make!
This one-pan classic calls for quality ingredients!
One thing I have learned during my cooking journey is to use the highest quality ingredients I can afford. Especially when making this Beef Stroganoff – a recipe with only a handful of ingredients. Seems obvious but a very small, possibly overlooked, ingredient can make a world of difference. For instance I usually buy store brand unsalted butter which runs about $3 a box. In this case, I really wanted the onions and mushrooms to be rich and luxurious, so I splurged on a higher quality grass-fed butter.
My other tip is pretty universal anytime you are making a beef dish that needs strips of meat – think fajitas, stir-fry, and fried rice. Place your cut of beef in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes depending on thickness. You want the meat to be FIRM, not frozen! This gives the meat structure, which in turn makes it easier to slice. The heat from handling the beef will take the chill off before cooking too.
- 2 lb beef sirloin steak, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1 medium sweet or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 8-oz package sliced white mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups quality beef stock, room temperature
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 oz wide egg noodles for serving, prepared according to package directions
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl, toss together beef strips and flour. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to pan, quickly swirl to coat.
- Immediately add beef strips. Sear meat for 30 seconds on each side. Set aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining butter, onions, and mushrooms to pan droppings. Cook 3-4 minutes until slightly soft, stirring occasionally.
- Slowly pour in beef stock while stirring continuously. Mix in Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Add beef back to pan. Bring to a low bubble, reduce heat, and simmer 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in thyme and sour cream during last 2 minutes of simmer, right before serving.
Home Chef Tip: When making a beef dish that needs strips of meat - i.e. fajitas or stir-fry - place beef in the freezer for 10-15 minutes depending on thickness. The meat should be FIRM, not frozen! This gives the meat structure, which in turn makes it easier to slice. The heat from handling the beef will take the chill off before cooking.
We hope you enjoy this traditional Beef Stroganoff Recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Loriann from Thyme for Cocktails. If you love this dinner classic, be sure to visit our Dinner Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!