In need of a quick and easy dinner option? This Instant Pot Mongolian Beef is just the recipe you crave. This 30-minute meal is a one-pot dinner using budget-friendly flank steak making it a cheap healthy meal as an added bonus!
What’s your favorite kitchen gadget?
Honestly, my favorite gift of 2018 was my Instant Pot! Living in NYC and constantly being on the go means I need quick and easy dinner options. The Instant Pot has been a life saver. It is so easy to whip up a delicious and flavorful meal in under 30 minutes. This Instant Pot Mongolian Beef recipe rivals any New York City take out option!
Home Chef tips for recipe success:
- Try to cut your beef thinly!
- The more garlic, the better. I use three cloves of garlic for two people so feel free to add more if needed.
- In my opinion, the best cut of beef for this recipe is flank steak.
- Not a fan of beef? Substitute chicken or pork!
- A must have ingredient for this recipe is corn starch. It will thicken up the sauce at the end. You cannot substitute flour for cornstarch!
- 2 lbs flank steak, sliced into thin strips across the grain
- 2-1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp minced fresh ginger root
- 2 tsp freshly minced garlic
- 3/4 cup soy sauce (I used low sodium)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 cup shredded or julienned carrots
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Sliced green onions and sesame seeds, for garnish
- Optional: Cooked white rice
- In a medium bowl, add ginger root, garlic, soy sauce, 1 cup water, brown sugar, and hoisin sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Set your Instant Pot to the sauté setting. Add olive oil. When olive oil is heated, add beef, and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Pour mixture over beef and stir to combine. Add carrots and stir again.
- Turn Instant Pot off. Place the lid on and lock. Steam release knob should be set on “sealing”.
- Cook on manual setting (high pressure) for 10 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then quick release remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove lid and stir. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Prepare the cornstarch slurry by whisking together cornstarch and 1/3 cup cold water in a small bowl or large measuring cup until smooth. Add to sauce and stir to combine. Turn on the sauté setting and continue to stir until slightly thickened (about 2 minutes). Turn off your Instant Pot. Sauce will thicken as it sits (about 5 minutes).
- Serve over cooked white rice (if desired) and top with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
Home Chef Tip: Not a fan of beef? Follow the same recipe using pork or chicken instead!
We hope you love this Instant Pot Mongolian Beef recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Nicole from The Cult of She, as much as we do. If you love this easy meal option, be sure to visit our 30-Minute Meals Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!