Learn how to make these no-fuss Ginger Sugar Cookies. Crisp, a little spicy, sweetly smothered in decadent chocolate, and perfect for the holidays.
Hello fellow cookie lovers! I’m Jane, and along with my sister Sonja, we blog over at Sustain My Craft Habit. I’m so happy to be here at SoFabFood sharing one of our favorite cookie recipes for the holidays.
It almost isn’t fair. Every year come November/December, all the best and most beautiful cookie recipes adorn the covers of my favorite magazines. And while I drool over each picture and decide which ones I’m going to make, I can’t help but wonder why we can’t enjoy the sweetness all year round! I mean, who wouldn’t love to try a good cookie recipe in July?
Well, aside from my quest for year-round cookie equality, it is true that one of my favorite events during this time of year is a Christmas baking session with Sonja. Each year we find one Saturday to spend together and bake some of our usual recipes as well as try some new ones. We start with grand plans of making a dozen different types of cookies then spend half the afternoon ogling the magazines and recipe books trying to agree on what we’ll make. Last year we ended up making two types of cookies. By the way, did I mention that we have five kids between us? Needless to say, the cookies didn’t last long.
But as they say, it’s the journey and not the destination that counts. So, while those Saturday afternoons spent together each year may not actually yield tons of cookies, they do make lots of wonderful memories for us.
One of our favorite cookies to bake is a Chocolate-Drizzled Ginger Sugar Cookie. This no-fuss sugar cookie is crisp, a little spicy, and sweet when smothered in chocolate. We like to think of it as a more sophisticated sugar cookie.
- For the cookie dough:
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- For the topping:
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate, melted
- Grease 2 baking sheets.
- Mix together egg, egg yolk, and sugar, and then stir in the melted butter.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, ginger, and salt into a bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and mix to combine.
- Chill the dough until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree F (190 degree C).
- Roll the dough out on parchment paper to ¼” thickness.
- Cut out using desired cookie cutter shapes and lay them on baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Dip a fork in the melted chocolate, drizzle chocolate over each cookie, and place on parchment for the chocolate to set.
- Store in an airtight container for 5 to 7 days.
We hope you enjoy this delicious recipe for Chocolate-Drizzled Ginger Sugar Cookies from SoFabFood Contributor, Jane from Sustain My Craft Habit, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple holiday dessert idea, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss a single recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!