With just 5 ingredients and one pan, you can have these Baked Catfish Nuggets ready for your weeknight dinner. This 20-minute meal is a real time saver and crowd pleaser when you serve it up with a Spicy Remoulade for dipping!
Most people don’t cook seafood at home often. That’s because it’s expensive and most of us just don’t have a ton of experience cooking with it. The good news is that it’s actually pretty simple to make and most of it cooks really fast (bonus!). For example, sautéing and broiling fish are both easy ways to make it super succulent, and most filets will cook in 8-20 minutes.
Check the baked catfish nuggets for doneness!
The best way to test filets for doneness is by gently pressing them with the back of a fork. If it starts to flake, you’re good to go! If the filet isn’t flaking and seems a bit squishy (that’s an official culinary term), it needs a few more minutes. Just watch it carefully and practice! You can do it – promise.
Today, I have a super simple catfish recipe that involves a crispy Cajun cornmeal batter and the whole meal is ready in about 20 minutes. Simply dip catfish nuggets in egg wash, spiced corn meal, line them on a wire rack, and bake them until just flaky. It takes about 10 minutes to cook, then I like to broil them a few minutes so they’re extra crispy. Crispy is definitely a good thing!
Spicy Remoulade for Dipping!
The spicy remoulade is for dipping, and it consists of mayo, horseradish mustard, dill relish, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. It’s basically an explosion of flavor in your mouth! You’ll want to dip everything in this stuff.
- 1 ½ lb fresh catfish fillets, cubed
- ¼ tsp coarse salt
- 1 ¼ cups corn meal
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp horseradish mustard
- 1 tbsp dill relish
- ½ tbsp hot sauce or Sriracha
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- Splash Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Fit a baking sheet with a wire rack and coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Sprinkle catfish nuggets with salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together corn meal and Cajun seasoning.
- In a separate small bowl, add eggs and whisk until beaten.
- Dip catfish nuggets into the egg, then into the corn meal mixture, and place on the wire rack. Coat catfish nuggets with cooking spray. Bake 10-12 minutes, then switch oven to a low broil and broil 2 minutes, until crispy.
- While catfish nuggets bake, whisk together all remoulade ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve catfish nuggets with spicy remoulade.
Home Chef Tip: The best way to test filets for doneness is by gently pressing them with the back of a fork. If it starts to flake, they're done! If the filet isn't flaking, it needs a few more minutes.
We hope you love these Baked Catfish Nuggets with Spicy Remoulade from SoFabFood Home Chef, Julie from The Gourmet RD, as much as we do. If you love this 5-ingredient recipe, be sure to visit our 30-Minute Meals Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!