Cook to impress with this simple weeknight meal! This creamy Salmon Coconut Curry is a one-pan, 30-minute meal everyone will love. Serve with rice or flatbread for a complete, satisfying meal.
My love for coconut curries is not new. This is something I grew up eating quite a lot when I was in India. This particular salmon curry is inspired by a popular cuisine of the coastal region of India where I spent significant years of my life. I am happy to share this recipe for 30-Minute Salmon Coconut Curry with you today!
How to make 30-Minute Salmon Coconut Curry:
For this simple weeknight meal, coconut milk and freshly grated coconut are the key ingredients that bring delicious flavors along with fish into the curry.
In a little oil, sear salmon fillets on both sides for a few minutes. For the curry base, purée fresh tomatoes with some ginger, garlic, jalapeño, and some desiccated coconut in a food processor or blender. Then cook this tomato mixture in a skillet with some diced onions. Once the tomato mixture is cooked, add coconut milk, some water, and seasonings to enhance the taste of the curry. Once the curry starts to thicken, add the cooked salmon fillets and further cook for few more minutes. Step-by-step instructions are given below.
This one-pan meal pairs well with plain cooked white rice or homemade naan bread. Personally, I love it with very soft and sticky rice such as jasmine rice, for example.
- Craving shrimp? You can prepare this coconut shrimp curry using a similar recipe.
- Use chicken instead of salmon if you are not a fan of seafood. Just cut boneless chicken into bite-sized pieces. Then cook the chicken in a little oil until all the water evaporates before adding to the curry.
- If you are a vegetarian or vegan, then you would love this chickpea curry prepared using coconut milk.
- 3/4 lb salmon (cut into 4 small fillets)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 red tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 jalapeño
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1/2" ginger peeled
- 1 cup coconut milk (reduced fat)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Purée tomato with jalapeño, garlic, ginger, and desiccated coconut in a blender or food processor.
- Add salmon fillets and sear for 2-3 minutes on each side. Take the cooked salmon out and set aside.
- Sauté onions in the same pan until they are golden brown.
- Add tomato mixture and cook until all the water evaporates, about 5-6 min.
- Add coconut milk and water. Bring mixture to boil.
- Season the curry with garam masala, salt, and pepper.
- Add pan-seared salmon fillets and cook the curry for another 3-5 minutes.
- Finally, add finely-chopped cilantro to garnish.
- Serve warm with fresh lemon wedges on the side.
Home Chef Tip: You can skip the desiccated coconut if you want. Do not wash or clean the skillet after searing salmon. Use residual oil from salmon to cook onions in the same pan. It will make the curry more flavorful.
We hope you love this One-Pan, 30-Minute Salmon Coconut Curry recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Swati from Watch What U Eat, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this one-pan meal, be sure to stop by our 30-Minute Meals Section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!