An Indian Spiced Whole Roasted Cauliflower is sure to impress your guests this holiday season. This cauliflower head marinated with Indian spices and baked to perfection is the perfect side dish or vegetarian delicacy.
The weather has turned cool for a few weeks now and the winter vegetables are in full bloom. Whether it is the greens or the squashes, it is time to make the best out of this seasonal bounty and please all your guests this holiday season. Cauliflower happens to be a great winter vegetable. It is time to deck up this one for the holidays!
I started experimenting with different winter vegetables a few months back. I tried a stuffed acorn squash, a pie with butternut squash, and a few marinated vegetables. Out of all of them, this Indian Spiced Whole Roasted Cauliflower was my favorite. Thus, I started to perfect the recipe. I made small changes to the marinade each time. The goal was to make sure the head does not taste bland after being baked. Finally after a few experiments, I was satisfied with the result and the taste of the dish.
Indian Spiced Whole Roasted Cauliflower
Heading straight to the recipe, this one is rather simple. This vegetarian main dish or delightful side dish can be partly prepared ahead of time. Marinate the head a few hours before the party and refrigerate it. That way, all you have to do is bake the cauliflower at dinner time.
Whether it is changing the spice level in the marinate or using sour cream instead of yogurt, the options are plenty. If you prefer a non-Indian version, glaze the head with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. That combination tastes super with roasted garlic on top. Or bake the cauliflower with some yummy freshly made Alfredo sauce if you prefer a creamy and non-spicy version. That is an awesome variation to this dish too.
- 1 medium head Cauliflower
- 1 tsp Olive Oil/any neutral oil
- Cilantro to garnish
- 1 cup Greek/Thick Yogurt
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder/Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp ground Ginger
- 2 tsp Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Kasoori Methi/Dried Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Let the marination rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the leaves from the cauliflower and chop the stem so that it stands upright.
- Wash in hot water to clean it completely.
- Using a brush or spoon, apply the marinate on the cauliflower, making sure some of it goes inside the cracks. Try to cover as much as the cauliflower as you can.
- In a baking tray lined with foil, apply some olive oil.
- Place the cauliflower head on it and rest covered for 30 minutes. It can even be refrigerated.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Once the cauliflower has rested, place it in the oven. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until the cauliflower feels dry and can be poked with a fork.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
- Enjoy with freshly made naan and rice. Carve the head into pieces and enjoy!
Home Chef Tip: Make sure the yogurt used is thick. Thin yogurt will not hold up well on the cauliflower leaving the flavor of the dish very bland.
All kinds of cauliflower and broccoli work well with this recipe and make a great centerpiece for your holiday table. In case you have leftovers, use them to make some yummy tacos or as an amazing topping for Bruschetta.
We hope you love this Indian Spiced Whole Roasted Cauliflower recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Smruti from Herbivore Cucina, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this delightful recipe, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss another one like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!