This easy dinner recipe for Pan-Seared Fish Tacos with Mandarin Salsa is a quick and budget-friendly meal. Spiced and seared tilapia topped with a healthy mandarin orange salsa for the perfect weeknight dinner.
How to sear tilapia:
How to Make Mandarin Salsa:
A Few Tips for Making this a 30-Minute Meal:
- Use store-bought coleslaw mix instead of shredding your own cabbage.
- Use bottled lime juice.
- Microwave your tortillas in a damp cloth instead of heating them on the stovetop.
- Use canned mandarin oranges instead of fresh.
- 4 tilapia fillets, 4 oz each
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp cayenne, optional
- shredded cabbage
- 1 can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 plum tomato, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 jalapeño, finely diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- In a bowl mix the canola oil, kosher salt, sugar, and remaining spices to form a paste. Coat the fish and heat a skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the filets and cook on each side until a blackened crust forms; about 3 minutes per side. Temperature should read 145ºF.
- Place the mandarin oranges, plum tomato, red onion, jalapeño, and cilantro in a bowl. Sprinkle the top with salt and sugar. Add the lime juice and toss. Adjust seasoning to taste. Chill in the fridge for an hour or so to meld the flavors. Serve chilled.
Home Chef Tip: Add some creaminess to these tacos with a simple chipotle yogurt dressing. Mix 1 whole adobo packed chipotle pepper, about 1-2 tablespoons of adobo, with 3/4 cup of 0% yogurt, 2 tablespoons of lime juice, a teaspoon of honey, and a pinch of salt to a blender. Blend until smooth.
We hope you enjoy these Pan-Seared Fish Tacos from SoFabFood Home Chef, Tynia from On Ty’s Plate. If you love this easy dinner idea, you can find more like it by visiting our 30-Minute Meal Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!