Trade out the meat for beans! These Simple Baked Black Bean Burgers are a great alternative to the classic hamburger. A vegetarian delight, these healthy burgers are packed with protein and vegetables that your body needs!
These black bean burgers take about 35 minutes and only require a few ingredients plus spices. Whether you decide to dress it up like any other burger, or eat the patty by itself, this is a recipe that the whole family is sure to love.
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill on high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375°F, and lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork, or potato masher, until thick and pasty.
- Finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic.
- Stir chopped bell pepper, onion, and garlic into the black beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
- Stir in the egg mixture and breadcrumbs into the mashed beans until the mixture is sticky and holds together.
- Divide mixture into four patties.
- If grilling, place patties on foil and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet and bake about 10 minutes on each side.
We hope you love this simple recipe for Baked Black Bean Burgers as much as we do. If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to visit our vegetarian section for more recipes like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so you never miss out on a single healthy recipe. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!