This homemade Bacon-Onion BBQ Chicken Pizza is a restaurant-style meal made affordably at home. If you forego the made-from-scratch pizza dough and use store bought instead, this is a budget-friendly, 30-minute meal perfect for busy weeknights!
If I could only eat one thing in my life again, I think it would be pizza. Pasta would come a close second, but pizza is definitely my all-time favorite meal. I have no problem demolishing a whole pizza by myself. In fact, I have been known to eat more than my husband when it comes to a pizza showdown!
No delivery fee required: Bacon-Onion BBQ Chicken Pizza
While I do love eating pizza at our favorite local restaurant, sometimes I just feel like making homemade pizza from scratch. Let me tell you a little secret – making homemade pizza from scratch isn’t that hard!
It may take a little longer than using a store-bought pizza crust, but you totally get the satisfaction of knowing you prepared a made-from-scratch pizza dough with this recipe.
Let’s talk toppings!
When it comes to pizza, I will pretty much eat anything, unless it’s overly spicy, but I’d have to say my favorite pizza topping is definitely BBQ Chicken! This Bacon-Onion BBQ Chicken Pizza is everything you look for in a pizza. You’ve got the smokiness of the barbecue sauce and bacon combined with the sweetness of the onion and tanginess of the feta. This is all brought together with just enough greenery to make you feel a little better about demolishing a pizza!
A few tips about the pizza dough you’ll need to know.
When it comes to making the base, my biggest piece of advice is to not over knead the dough. Over-kneaded dough will not turn out as light and fluffy as you want it. You’ll end up with a crispy, crumbly crust. Kneading really only takes about three to four minutes, just enough to combine the oil into the dough!
Apart from that, there is nothing much to this recipe other than a delicious pile of good old barbecue chicken, bacon, and onion.
- 1 cup all purpose plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp instant dried yeast
- 3.5 oz warm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup good quality, smokey barbecue sauce
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced finely
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 large handful spinach
- 2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Add sugar to warm water and stir until dissolved. Sprinkle over yeast and leave to rise for 5 minutes in a warm place.
- Add flour and salt to a large bowl.
- Once yeast is ready, add to flour and salt. Mix with a spoon before bringing together with hands. If dough gets sticky, add a little extra flour.
- Add olive oil, and knead 3 to 4 minutes until olive oil in mixed into dough.
- Transfer to a clean bowl, cover, and set in a warm place for 1 hour, or until dough has doubled in size.
- Once dough has doubled, remove from warm place and punch down.
- Knead for 1 minute, bringing mixture together. Once again, if it get's sticky, add a little more flour.
- Turn onto a lightly floured, non stick surface.
- Roll into a circle to fit a 12 inch round pizza tray.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Combine onion and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Cook on low heat 10 minutes, until onion starts to caramelize.
- Cook bacon in a small skillet until lightly browned.
- Remove bacon and add spinach to same skillet. Cook until spinach has wilted.
- Spread barbecue sauce over pizza base.
- Add chicken, caramelized onion, bacon, and wilted spinach.
- Top with feta cheese and mozzarella.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until pizza crust is starting to brown and cheese is melted.
Home Chef Tip: If you don't want to make your own pizza dough, store bought will do just fine. Cooking time should still be the same, but prep time will reduce to about 15 minutes.
We hope you enjoy this Bacon-Onion BBQ Chicken Pizza from SoFabFood Home Chef, Georgina from The Home Cook’s Kitchen, as much as we do. If you love this budget-friendly recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Pizza Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!