Looking to impress dinner guests? You need this recipe for Ukrainian Chicken Schnitzel (Otbivnaya). It’s a 4-ingredient, 30-minute meal that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner or to impress a crowd. This chicken is juicy, crispy, and satisfying!
Ukrainian Chicken Schnitzel: A 30-Minute Meal
Do you love quick dinner recipes that are delicious and require minimal ingredients? Who doesn’t?
After a long day of doing household chores and playing with the kids, I love my dinners to be quick, delicious, and nutritious. Especially now, when it’s getting warmer and I don’t feel like cooking at all.
Great news for you, my friend! Ukrainian Chicken Schnitzel or Otbivnaya is one of those recipes every cook should have in their back pocket. It’s a budget-friendly meal with just four simple ingredients and it can be ready in 30 minutes!
In Ukraine, where I grew up, Chicken Schnitzel, just like Chicken Kiev, are comfort food recipes. Everyone loves them for a reason.
For my easy Chicken Schnitzel, you’ll only need four ingredients and less than 30 minutes of your time. The chicken always comes out juicy, crispy, and so good. As an added bonus, the recipe is approved by picky eaters. Both of my picky little ones devour chicken schnitzel in no time.
Today I’m sharing with you the basic recipe. It’s absolutely self-sufficient and tastes great the way it is.
How to Make Ukrainian Chicken Schnitzel
First thing you’re going to need to do is slice a chicken breast in half to have two cutlets. Using a rolling pin or a special meat tenderizer, pound the cutlets until they’re about 1/4 – 1/8 inch thick. Season the cutlets with salt and pepper and dip them into the beaten egg and then the breadcrumbs.
Now, all you have to do is cook the schnitzel for 3-4 minutes on both sides until it’s brown and cooked through.
It’s as simple as it sounds and I’m sure you’ll love the outcome as much as my family does. You can also make this recipe with pork tenderloin or beef. Ukrainian Style Schnitzel is best served with mashed potatoes, pasta, or rice along with a fresh salad.
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (I used Panko)
- oil for cooking
- salt and pepper, optional
- Place the chicken on a cutting board and, holding it flat with the palm of one hand, slice it horizontally into two even pieces.
- Place the chicken cutlet in between layers of plastic wrap. Using a rolling pin or meat tenderizer, pound the cutlet until about 1/4-1/8 inch thick.
- Repeat with the rest of the chicken cutlets.
- Season both sides of chicken cutlets with salt and pepper, highly recommended, but optional.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs.
- In another medium bowl, add the breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil in a large sauté pan and over medium heat.
- Dip each chicken cutlet in the egg and the breadcrumbs. Shake off the excess breadcrumbs.
- Cook schnitzel for 3-4 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through. Repeat with the remaining chicken.
- You may want to add more breadcrumbs or oil to the pan.
- Serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: You can also bake Chicken Schnitzel instead of frying it. Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet and spray the top of the Schnitzel with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes, then flip it, spray with cooking spray again, and bake for 10 more minutes until lightly golden and cooked through.
Make this super easy Chicken Schnitzel for dinner and let me know what you think.
We hope you love this Ukrainian Chicken Schnitzel recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Iryna from Lavender and Macarons, as much as we do. If you love this simple entrée, stop by our 30-Minute Meals section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!