Avocado Toast is all the rage these days in hip cafes across the country, and for good reason: it’s easy and quick to make, nutritious, versatile and best of all – it’s delicious! If you’re on the lookout for family friendly green recipes for St. Patrick’s Day, this one is for you. Let’s GO GREEN!
The best part about Avocado Toast is that it takes ten minutes (or less) to prepare and makes a delicious and nutritious breakfast, lunch, or snack. The whole family can get in on the preparation when you have a selection of toppings. If you have young children, it’s a fun activity to start at the grocery store by color spotting green fruits and vegetables, and by including them in the process, it’s encouraging your children to try a new food.
To prepare the base of the recipe, the avocado mash, simply halve and de-pit two ripe avocados into a bowl. Using a fork, mash the avocados with the juice of one lime and a teaspoon of coarse salt. Give it a taste, and add more lime juice and/or salt depending on your preference. I like a lot of lime in my avocado mash. Generously spread the avocado mash onto thin slices of lightly toasted bread. I prefer a seedy, whole grain bread that I find at my local bakery.
Now comes the fun part: customizing it your own way! Offer the green toppings sliced and diced into bite-sized pieces. The avocado mash base is simple and mild in flavor, so you can really experiment with a variety of toppings. Have fun mixing and matching sweet and spicy toppings, like apple and jalapeño. Add a bit of crunchy texture with a sugar snap pea or scallion, or try an Italian theme by combining spinach and pesto. The possibilities are endless!
- 2 Ripe Avocados
- 2 Limes
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp Coarse Salt (sea salt, himalayan salt, etc.)
- Small loaf of seedy, whole grain bread
- Topping Bar (choose any assortment of GREEN items):
- Green Onion/Scallion
- Sugar Snap Peas
- Green Apple
- Alfalfa Sprouts
- Halve and de-pit the two avocados into a medium-sized bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of one lime directly onto the avocados and mash together.
- Sprinkle in the salt and taste. Adjust by adding more lime juice and/or salt. (I prefer mine extra limey!) Set aside.
- Chop selected toppings into small and/or thin bite-sized pieces.
- Thinly slice and lightly toast the bread.
- Spread approximately 2 tablespoons of avocado mash onto each slice of bread.
- Add preferred toppings. Some favorite combinations include: Jalapeño, Cilantro, and Lime. Cucumber, Green Apple, and Sprouts. Spinach and Pesto. Sugar Snap Peas and Scallions.
What flavor combination do you want to try? The possibilities are as wild as your imagination!
We hope you love this Avocado Toast with an all GREEN Topping Bar recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Candace Thomas from Luxe…with Kids, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to stop by our Vegetarian section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook, follow us on Pinterest, and stop by our Google+ Community to see all of the amazing recipes our community members are sharing. Enjoy!