Each bite of this rich Brown Butter Bourbon Sweet Potato Pie is full of pure southern delight perfect for the holiday season. It’s hard to decide which tastes better, the bourbon whipped cream or the brown butter caramel sauce!
Sweet potatoes are a holiday staple at our house! Whether they are in a sweet potato casserole topped with marshmallows and streusel or in a sweet potato pie, we can’t get enough of them. This year, I wanted to create a standout sweet potato recipe that would be a new holiday favorite at our house and decided to whip up this Brown Butter Bourbon Sweet Potato Pie. This pie is really a winner, I am so happy with how it turned out! The flavors really complement each other wonderfully between the rich brown butter, the sweetness of the sweet potatoes, and the spices in the bourbon.
I added a bit of character to this Brown Butter Bourbon Sweet Potato Pie by making the little pie crust maple leaves on top. They are so simple to make, yet elegant. It really gives it that nice fall feel that dishes need during the holidays. I made a few more additional leaves, but decided to leave them off the pie because of how good it looked with a bit of space between them. I just topped the extras with a bit of cinnamon sugar and popped them in the oven for a snack. Cinnamon sugar pie crust is one of my favorite fall treats to make. If you have some extra dough, try making them. They are really good!
Brown Butter Bourbon Sweet Potato Pie
If you want to add a bit more of a kick to this recipe, try adding a tablespoon of bourbon to the pie too. I actually enjoy sweet potato pies a bit more than pumpkin. I just feel like there is a nice bit of depth to the flavor that pumpkin pie doesn’t have and it is a little bit denser than classic pumpkin.
- 2 pie crusts
- 1 lb sweet potatoes (about 2-3 sweet potatoes)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup butter (unsalted)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp butter (unsalted)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan with enough water to cover the sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil, boiling for 50 minutes or until they are very soft.
- Drain water from saucepan and remove potatoes. Let cool a few minutes before proceeding to peel off their skins.
- Transfer peeled sweet potatoes to a mixing bowl and proceed to beat potatoes until smooth either using a potato masher or a stand/hand mixer.
- Once potatoes are smooth, add in brown sugar, butter, heavy cream, eggs, flour, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves. Mix until well combined.
- In a small bowl, combine ingredients for egg wash. Use a fork to stir until well combined.
- Spread pie crust out in pie dish and then transfer filling into crust. Smooth out before placing in the oven to bake for 55-65 minutes or until the pie is mostly firm with just a little bit of jiggle.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, bourbon, and vanilla extract. Whip until stiff peaks form and chill until serving.
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, add in butter. As the butter begins to melt, start stirring with a whisk.
- Once the butter starts to separate with brown flecks sinking to the bottom, remove from heat, and let cool completely.
- In a separate small saucepan over medium-low heat, add in sugar. Once the sugar starts to melt, pour in cooled brown butter. Reduce heat to low and add in heavy whipping cream while continuing to whisk. Once the sauce has become smooth and glossy, let simmer 2-3 more minutes before removing from heat. Add in salt and stir.
- Let cool a bit before serving, it will help thicken it up.
- Place a slice of pie on a plate and top with bourbon whipped cream and drizzle brown butter caramel sauce on top.
Home Chef Tip: Use the second pie crust to make pie crust leaves for decoration. Roll out the pie crust and use a leaf-shaped cookie cutter to cut out little pie crust shaped leaves. Place around the edge of the pie before baking and brush with egg wash.
We hope you enjoy this Brown Butter Bourbon Sweet Potato Pie recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Madi from Mildly Meandering, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Dessert Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!