This No-Bake Chocolate Sweet Potato Pie is a creamy, delicious, and ultra-decadent vegan and gluten-free pie that combines the wonders of sweet potato and chocolate pie all in one. This is one secretly healthy dessert recipe, but no one will know!
Most everyone loves chocolate pie and sweet potato pie separately, but rarely has anyone ever had chocolate sweet potato pie – at least not where I live in the south. Let me tell you, once you have chocolate sweet potato pie, I bet you’ll never go back to having to choose between either chocolate or sweet potato for your next get together.
The best part about this No-Bake Chocolate Sweet Potato Pie is that you really can’t detect that you’re eating potatoes at all. Instead, the sweetness and ultra creamy texture that sweet potatoes have help to make this pie super silky, extra sweet, and almost gooey in texture. When the different flavors of chocolate used in this recipe combine with the sweet potatoes, it creates an effect that is truly magical.
I first made this vegan Chocolate Sweet Potato Pie for my holiday table two years ago because my brother loves sweet potato pie and my mom loves chocolate pie. I didn’t tell either one of them what was actually in this pie, I just told them that I had made the chocolate pie that year. Everyone loved the recipe so much, I didn’t even feel the need to tell them it was a healthy pie that is gluten free and vegan!
This pie also comes together in no time. For one, it uses store-bought ingredients, and two, it’s a no-bake (refrigerator) pie which is my favorite kind of all!
No-Bake Chocolate Sweet Potato Pie
This No-Bake Chocolate Sweet Potato Pie is made with a gluten-free “graham cracker” style crust you can find at any supermarket. Yes, I used a store-bought crust, because who has time to make a homemade crust these days? Maybe you do, but I don’t, so store-bought it is! Plus, everyone loves graham cracker style crusts, so why not keep things easy? You can also use a regular graham cracker crust in this recipe if you prefer.
The rest of the ingredients for this Chocolate Sweet Potato Pie can be mixed into a bowl in minutes. Then, you just scoop the mixture into the pie crust, smooth it out all nice and lovely, and then sprinkle the edges and middle of the pie with crushed vegan dark chocolate chips. So if you love chocolate pie as much as my family does, why not make things a little more interesting, decadent, and healthy this year?
- 1 gluten-free, dairy-free "graham" cracker style crust (or 1 traditional graham cracker crust if you don't want to use the gluten-free, dairy-free option)
- 1 15-oz can sweet potato purée or the flesh of 1 large baked sweet potato
- 2 cups of vanilla or plain non-dairy yogurt ( I used vanilla soy yogurt, but almond would also work)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of plain cocoa powder or dark cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup of vegan dark chocolate bar, melted (or vegan dark chocolate chips, melted)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegan dark chocolate chips, crushed (or dark chocolate shavings)
- Add all of the pie ingredients to a bowl and stir well with a spatula until combined or put them in the blender and mix until creamy and combined. The mixture should be thick, but silky and smooth.
- Spread out the blended mixture into the pie crust and smooth out the top in circular motions with either a spatula or spoon.
- For the topping, sprinkle crushed vegan dark chocolate chips (or dark chocolate shavings) around the edges and a little in the center, as shown in the photos.
- Place the pie in the fridge to set at least 2 hours, but overnight is best. The longer it sits, the thicker it gets. The melted chocolate will help the pie harden up a bit in the fridge so don't skip the refrigeration part!
- Serve the pie and enjoy! You can enjoy it alone or dollop a little non-dairy whipped topping on the top of the pie.
Home Chef Tip: The yogurt in this recipe makes the pie super silky and light, but some versions of yogurt are sweetened. If you prefer to lower the sugar content in this pie, feel free to use unsweetened, non-dairy yogurt instead of regular plain or regular vanilla yogurt. If you use this option, be sure to add a pinch of pure stevia extract to the pie mixture ingredients to add sweetness without sugar.
We hope you enjoy this No-Bake Chocolate Sweet Potato Pie from SoFabFood Home Chef, Heather from The Soulful Spoon, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, visit our desserts section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!