Cold weather calls for a warm, comforting drink! This Spiked Mexican Hot Chocolate has Kahlua, cayenne, and cinnamon, and is topped with whipped cream and chocolate syrup for the ultimate winter cocktail.
The weather is getting cooler, and that has me searching for ways to warm up! This Spiked Mexican Hot Chocolate is the perfect thing to sit back and sip on during these fall and winter months. This comforting drink is warm, rich, sweet, and has the perfect kick of spice from the cinnamon and cayenne. I love to top mine with whipped cream, marshmallows, or sometimes chocolate syrup.
Tips for making this winter cocktail:
- I like to use whole milk for this recipe because I feel like it is the perfect richness. If you would like your hot chocolate to be a little thicker, you could swap out a portion of the milk for heavy cream. If you would like your hot chocolate to be sweeter, swap out a portion of the milk for sweetened condensed milk.
- Semi-sweet chocolate has the perfect amount of sugar for this recipe, in my opinion. If you prefer a sweeter taste, you can use milk chocolate. If you would rather have an even richer and more chocolatey drink, you can add a little unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Be sure to whisk the milk and chocolate regularly while you are heating them. You want to be sure that the milk does not burn on the bottom of the pan!
Ingredients for Spiked Mexican Hot Chocolate:
- Sauce pan
- Whole milk
- Semi-sweet chocolate
- Cayenne pepper
- Whipped cream, marshmallows, and chocolate syrup for garnish
How to make this comforting drink:
Making this takes only a few minutes. You will heat the milk and chocolate until it is warm and the chocolate is completely melted. Then, you just add the rest of the ingredients and allow those to get hot as well. After that you just serve, top with garnishes, and enjoy!
If you like this recipe, you should try my Dirty Banana Cocktail too!
- 4 cups whole milk
- 6 oz semi sweet chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup Kahlua
- Whipped Cream, Marshmallows, or Chocolate Syrup for topping
- Heat a large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the milk and chocolate and whisk until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Add the vanilla, cinnamon, cayenne, and Kahlua, and whisk until hot.
- Top with whipped cream, marshmallows, and/or chocolate syrup if desired.
Home Chef Tip This recipe can be made kid friendly by simply leaving out the Kahlua. Mexican Hot Chocolate is delicious all on its own even without the booze!
We hope you enjoy this Spiked Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Regan from Hungry Six. If you love this comforting winter cocktail, be sure to visit our Cocktails Section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!
Disclosure: Message intended for our readers 21+ only. Please drink responsibly!