Somewhere between chocolate ganache and warm chocolate milk, this Boozy Peppermint Hot Chocolate is a chocolate lover’s dream beverage. This Peppermint Schnapps based cocktail is the perfect after-dinner treat.
You may think you’re a fan of hot chocolate, but you’ll never be the same after tasting my Boozy Peppermint Hot Chocolate!
I first tasted this kind of rich, chocolate-heavy French hot chocolate (also known as a chocolat chaud) while studying abroad in Europe. I came home with an obsession for this drink that is somewhere between chocolate ganache and warm chocolate milk. It’s a chocolate lover’s dream beverage.
Cool evenings were made for hot chocolate!
I’ve been stocking up on sweaters and cute booties for the past few weeks, but I’ve yet to get to wear any of them. For some reason it hasn’t gotten cool enough yet here in Michigan, but with winter around the corner I know that my time will come. Every year around late September/early October I start itching for colder weather. For an excuse to wear sweaters, sure, but also so I can start drinking warm drinks… preferably by a fireplace.
This boozy chocolate drink is perfect for colder weather, especially around the holidays! There’s something so refreshing about mint and chocolate so it has always seemed like a natural fit to put some Peppermint Schnapps in Chocolat Chaud. If you want a virgin version (say that ten times fast), skip the Schnapps and opt for ¼ teaspoon of peppermint extract instead.
Why Chocolat Chaud instead of regular hot chocolate?
Alright, at this point you might be wondering if making a chocolat chaud rather than hot chocolate is really worth it. I could ask you to trust me, but honestly, just take a look and see for yourself. This spiked chocolat chaud is far creamier, sweeter, and richer than any other warm chocolate beverage. One sip is all you’ll need before you’ll be screaming for more. Okay, so you might have more self control than I do, but still, you might surprise yourself by how hard you fall for it.
Recipe tips for success:
- Wait until the end of the cooking process to add in the Schnapps. If you add it too early, the alcohol will cook off and you’ll be left with a minty (while not boozy) chocolat chaud.
- You might want to drink it as soon as you see the chocolate start to melt, but don’t rush the process. Cook the mixture on medium/medium-low to make sure that nothing burns or separates. Low and slow is the way to go.
- This is a really rich chocolate treat so lighten it up with an optional whipped cream topping! Whip ¼ cup whipped cream with two tablespoons of powdered sugar until soft peaks form.
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup high quality semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 shots of Peppermint Schnapps
- Heat milk and heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat.
- When it comes to a boil, remove from heat and mix in the chocolate and Peppermint Schnapps.
- Whisk until combined and serve immediately.
Home Chef Tip: If you want a virgin version, skip the Schnapps and opt for ¼ teaspoon of peppermint extract instead.
We hope you love this Boozy Hot Chocolate recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Charlotte from Sweet Sundays, as much as we do. If you love this cozy drink recipe, stop by our cocktails section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!