This Paleo Slow Cooker Wonton Meatball Stew is a simple comfort food that’s perfect for a weeknight meal. This one-pot meal is full of homemade meatballs, vegetables, and amazing Asian flavors!
Ever since discovering that I have a sensitivity to gluten several years back (and crying about it for a week), one of the foods I miss eating the most is dumplings in all shapes and forms. As a Korean-American, they are one of the foods I grew up on in my home and I can’t help but have emotional ties to them. My family would sit around together making wontons to get ready for the Korean New Year, and it’s a memory I still hold fondly in my heart.
Fortunately, I’ve learned to recreate some of my favorite dishes and their flavors over the years to satisfy my cravings. This gluten-free Paleo Slow Cooker Wonton Meatball Stew does just that for when I get a hankering for some dumplings.
Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Wonton Meatball Stew
This healthy and delicious recipe is chock full of vegetables like mushrooms, onions, potatoes, carrots, and even bok choy. The meatballs themselves taste like wontons even without the wrappers they usually come in. I like to top my bowl of stew with a fistful of cilantro leaves for that extra flavor and nutrient boost, but of course this is optional. Even without it, this stew is so flavorful, and it’s just so easy to make in the slow cooker.
If you are looking for an easy set-it-and-forget-it recipe on a busy day, I think you’ll love this Paleo Slow Cooker Wonton Meatball Stew. My husband and I have been enjoying it on chilly and dark evenings, and a bowl of this comfort food takes me back to my childhood and brings me so much joy.
Also, if you love to meal prep or batch cook, this recipe freezes and reheats beautifully, so feel free to double up the recipe so you can enjoy it throughout the week!
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 8 oz white or cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp coconut flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 lb potatoes, cubed
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp tapioca, arrowroot, or potato starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 baby bok choy, stems removed and leaves roughly chopped
- Chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, place all ingredients for the meatballs and mix until combined.
- Using your hands, shape into 30-35 meatballs about the size of golf balls.
- Place the meatballs on a plate and place in the freezer while you prep the stew ingredients.
- Cut the onion, carrots, and potatoes, and add it to the slow cooker.
- Add broth, coconut aminos or tamari sauce, and fish sauce over the vegetables and stir together.
- Take out the meatballs from the freezer then lay them on top of the vegetables.
- Close the lid and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or on low for 7-8 hours.
- In a small bowl, stir together starch of your choice and water until a white slurry forms.
- Add in the slurry and bok choy to the slow cooker and stir gently.
- Cook on high for 15 more minutes.
- Serve the stew in bowls, garnished with cilantro leaves, if using.
Home Chef Tip: If you want to freeze this recipe, make sure it's completely cooled then freeze in individual portions in freezer safe containers. You can reheat it in the microwave or on the stove top!
We hope you enjoy this Slow Cooker Wonton Meatball Stew recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Jean from What Great Grandma Ate, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Slow Cooker Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!