Looking to beat the chill this winter? Warm up with a big bowl of this Thai-inspired Veggie Coconut Curry Noodle Soup! This wonderful bowl of comfort food is ready in less than 30 minutes!
San Francisco has been super chilly lately and I’m now realizing how much I’m acclimated to the west coast weather! I used to be able to tough out the coldest of winters back on the east coast, but now, as soon as it dips below 70 degrees, I’m bundling up and sipping on warm soup. Winter is soup season and this Veggie Coconut Curry Noodle Soup is just the bowl of comfort food you need on a cold, winter evening!
Veggie Coconut Curry Noodle Soup
One of my go-to soups is this Thai-inspired noodle soup. This family-favorite meal is sweet and spicy and full of veggies! I usually add whatever veggies I have in the fridge, but this time I only had mushrooms, carrots, broccoli, and potatoes on hand. Feel free to add bell peppers, cauliflower, bean sprouts, or whatever you might have in your refrigerator!
What makes this 30 minute comfort food extra special is that I used homemade vegetable broth. To make the broth, I first start collecting vegetable scraps like carrot peels, celery roots, thyme stems, garlic peels, onion peels, and more in a gallon-sized freezer bag. It usually takes me a couple weeks to fill it up so I freeze the bag and add to it throughout the week. Once the bag is full, I dump the veggie scraps out into a large sauce pot, add enough water to cover, and simmer for one to two hours. Then I strain the broth to remove all the veggie scraps and freeze it for later use. It really makes a huge difference in the flavor and you’re getting use out of all your veggie scraps!
Be sure to try out this simple soup and I hope it brings as much comfort to you as it does to me. Stay warm!
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1/2 cup carrot, sliced into 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small potato, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup Shimeji mushrooms (you can use whatever mushrooms you have on hand!)
- 1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups cooked noodles
- 1 lime, quartered
- Cilantro (optional)
- Sriracha (optional)
- Heat coconut oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Once it's hot, add onions and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add garlic and ginger, sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add Thai red curry paste and mix well, sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add carrot, potato, and broccoli and mix so that most of the veggies are coated in the curry paste.
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add coconut milk and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer over low heat for 15 minutes or until the potato is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Serve the soup over a bowl of cooked noodles. Garnish with cilantro and serve with a lime wedge and Sriracha.
Home Chef Tip: Use whatever veggies you have at home! Feel free to add tofu for some protein!
We hope you love this Thai-Inspired Veggie Coconut Curry Noodle Soup recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Hetal from Milk & Cardamom, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this comfort food recipe, be sure to visit our 30-Minute Meals Section section for more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!