This Vegetarian Corn Potato Chowder for Two is the perfect sized pot of fresh summery goodness for a date night. A meal like this is perfect for the end of summer, when the days are still warm, but the nights begin to cool off as fall quickly approaches!
Hello, this is Heather from Kitchen Concoctions and I’m excited to share my recipe for Vegetarian Corn Potato Chowder for Two with you! Growing up in a large family, when I first started learning to cook as a 10-year-old, I had to learn how to cook things that would serve a crowd and were easy to make.
Things like casseroles, pasta dinners, soups, and chili were staples because they usually only required dumping things into a pot and would make enough for our big family and sometimes enough for leftovers for lunch the next day.
Then, I moved out on my own. Learning to cook smaller meals took some time and trial and error. For the longest time, I was still cooking large batch meals and then living off of them for days until I was sick of them, or freezing leftovers until I had no more room in my tiny apartment freezer.
After years of over cooking, I’m now pretty good at halving recipes or coming up with new ideas to use up leftovers! Soup is still a dinnertime favorite since the prep time is usually minimal, and soup recipes can usually be halved when cooking for two, or doubled for a large dinner party without much work.
Vegetarian Corn Potato Chowder for Two
This Vegetarian Corn and Potato Chowder for Two is the perfect sized pot of soup for my family of two! While I know summer doesn’t necessarily scream soup weather, unless you are making a chilled soup like this Chilled Avocado Soup, I love fresh summer corn and to be honest, I often want a comforting bowl of soup like this Vegetarian Corn and Potato Chowder or this Vegetarian Red Pozole with Black Beans and Summer Squash on a rainy summer day. A meal like this is perfect for the end of summer, when the days are still warm, but the nights begin to cool off as fall quickly approaches!
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large or 2 small russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 cup 2% or whole milk
- 2 - 3 Tbsp chopped fresh chives or green onions
- Cut the corn kernels off the cob. Set the kernels and the cob aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5-8 minutes. Stir in the corn kernels and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, salt, black pepper, and corn cobs. Bring to a boil and boil for 1-2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove corn cobs and bay leaf and discard. In a blender or food processor, purée ½ cup of the soup with the milk. Stir the purée into the soup and boil until the soup thickens slightly, about 5-10 minutes. Add additional salt or black pepper, if needed, and serve topped with green onions.
Home Chef Tip: Substitute unsweetened almond or coconut milk to make this recipe vegan.
Recipe can easily be doubled to serve a family of 4 or 5.
We hope you love this Vegetarian Corn Potato Chowder for Two recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Heather from Kitchen Concoctions, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Vegetarian section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!