Shrimp Sausage Gumbo: The Perfect Comfort Food
- 1/2 lb shrimp
- 12 oz Andouille sausage, sliced
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 oz okra, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell peppers, diced
- 1/3 cup celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5-oz can diced canned tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Bring a pan of water to a boil and reduce heat to low. Add the okra and cover the pan. Simmer for 8 minutes until done.
- In a large pot cook the butter and flour over medium heat. Stir with a whisk for about 15 minutes. The roux will start to turn a dark brown color during the last 5 minutes, be sure to stir constantly, so that the roux doesn’t burn.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, celery, and garlic to the roux and stir until the vegetables are tender.
- Add okra, tomatoes, sliced Andouille sausage, bay leaf, thyme, basil, cayenne, pepper, and salt and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water and mix well. Cover the pot and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While it simmers, prepare the shrimp in a pan drizzled with olive oil.
- Add the shrimp to the gumbo, cover and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve over steamed rice.
Home Chef Tip: If you want a thicker gumbo, add 2-3 cups of water instead of 4.