You’re going to love this delicious, healthy, and flavorful Braised Chicken Couscous and Spinach recipe. With very little fuss and just one pan, this is the perfect simple and nutritious weeknight meal!
As much as I’m looking to simplify my life, I rarely make one pan dinners. I don’t really know why. Maybe because I grew up in a culture where we’re supposed to use several vessels to prepare a recipe or because I’m not looking for simple ways to make meals. Regardless of the reasons, recently I vowed to make a resolution and start cooking more one pot dinners. Let’s face it, no one can resist a fast and easy meal cooked entirely in one pot or pan. The best part is less cleaning. I know my husband will definitely thank me for this as he’s responsible for the after-dinner dishes.
Braised Chicken Couscous and Spinach in One Pan
I recommend using a good Dutch oven or large ovenproof skillet when making this delicious Braised Chicken Couscous and Spinach. Start with rubbing your chicken with an aromatic mix of garlic and cumin. Coriander, dry thyme, or rosemary work well too. Sear chicken on the stovetop just until crispy and brown all over, then transfer to the oven to continue cooking it low and slow. To finish off, add couscous, a bunch of spinach, and dinner is served.
For this recipe, I chose couscous, which has a pleasantly mild taste and pairs well with aromatic chicken. For a vitamin boost, I’ve added spinach which is known to have the most benefits when cooked. You can also use kale or swiss chard, if you prefer.
If you want to have a hassle-free weeknight dinner, give this Braised Chicken Couscous and Spinach a try and it will quickly become one of your favorite one-pot dishes.
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp powdered cumin
- 2 large garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 5 oz dry couscous
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- In a small bowl combine, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cumin. Rub each drumstick with spice mixture.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch Oven or large ovenproof skillet. Add chicken and cook for about 15 minutes, turning once or twice until brown all over. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pot, add onion and garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in 1 1/2 cup of chicken broth, add honey and bay leaf. Lightly give everything a stir.
- Add chicken and put pot into the oven.
- Cook for 35 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Add couscous and the remaining 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Put pot back into the oven and cook until couscous has absorbed broth, about 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and continue cooking in the oven until spinach has wilted.
- Remove pot from the oven and serve.
Home Chef Tip: For this recipe, you can use any type of couscous. Giant couscous will do well too. You can also make it with rice. Just add 1/2 cup more of chicken broth and add 10 minutes to the cooking time if using rice.
We hope you enjoy this Braised Chicken Couscous and Spinach recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Iryana from Lavender and Macaroons, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Dinner section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!