Loaded Baked Potato Soup is the perfect homemade comfort food on a chilly evening. This stove-top or slow cooker soup is loaded with potatoes, bacon, and cheese. Perfect for a weeknight dinner or hearty lunch!
There’s nothing quite like homemade comfort food!
This Homemade Baked Potato Soup Recipe is the perfect recipe to turn to if you’re looking for comfort food that not only satisfies your hunger, but tastes so amazing that you’ll want to eat it for days on end. Perfect for large gatherings, this soup can be made up pretty quickly or simmered in your slow cooker and kept warm all day for guests to enjoy.
Loaded baked potato taste in a comforting soup!
This Homemade Loaded Baked Potato Soup is a great crowd pleaser because it works for a variety of dietary needs. The soup itself is vegetarian and low in sodium, but the toppings – bacon, green onions, and more cheese – are added after cooking. This hearty soup will satisfy everyone, no matter their dietary needs or preferences!
Hearty, satisfying, and packed with lots of vegetables and glorious cheese, this is one soup you absolutely have to try! The recipe is a little time intensive because of all of the chopping of vegetables, but the fresh flavors of this incredibly creamy and hearty soup are totally worth your time and effort.
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 caribe pepper, seeded and diced (you can use jalapeños if you prefer more heat)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1.5 lb potatoes, peeled and diced into fairly small pieces
- 1 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 4 slices bacon for topping, optional
- diced green onions for topping, optional
- extra shredded Colby Jack cheese for topping, optional
- Melt butter in a large stock pot.
- Dice onion and pepper and sauté on medium heat in the melted butter until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add flour and stir to combine; you will have a thick paste at this point.
- Add the vegetable stock and milk, stir to make soupy.
- Add the potatoes to the pot.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add cheese, sour cream, and pepper; stir to combine. Allow to simmer an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
- While the soup is simmering, cook your bacon, degrease it on a paper towel, then chop it into little pieces. Set aside.
- Dice green onions; set aside.
- Remove soup from heat and serve hot topped with additional shredded cheese, bacon, and green onions.
Home Chef Tip: If you want to cook this soup in your slow cooker, just add all of the ingredients to the pot, stir, cover, and simmer on low for 4-6 hours.
Love this simple weeknight dinner? Pin it for later!
We hope you love this Homemade Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe as much as we do. If you enjoyed this simple and flavorful meal idea, be sure to check out our other Soup Recipes to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!