These Greek Chicken Bowls are great for easy meal prep. This cheap healthy meal includes chicken over rice with Tzatziki sauce and a grape tomato-cucumber salad. A 30-minute meal that’s perfect for lunchtime or dinner!
Make Greek Chicken Bowls for Easy Meal Prep!
Hi Everyone, I’m Sara Maniez from Life’s Little Sweets. Do you meal prep for the week? If you do, you will love these flavorful and satisfying Greek Chicken Bowls! It’s a 30-minute meal that makes lunchtime throughout the week deliciously simple.
This recipe provides a balanced and tasty meal: You have your protein in the chicken over rice that’s balanced with a crisp cucumber-tomato salad which has a light red wine vinaigrette dressing. This recipe also includes an incredible Tzatziki sauce that goes well with the entire dish overall, but you will especially want to dip those chicken tenders in this creamy sauce.
A cheap healthy meal that’s perfect for work day lunches!
I used four (4-cup size) containers for this recipe and all the food fits evenly in there. You might want to keep the dressing and the Tzatziki sauce in separate smaller containers to keep everything fresh until you’re ready to eat.
If you are concerned about the salad getting soggy, have no fear because that is why I specify grape tomatoes so there’s less tomato juice. Using English (also called “European”) cucumbers means they are less likely to be soggy. With this combination, it’s totally fine to mix the vinaigrette dressing with the salad in a mixing bowl before dishing it out into the individual containers.
I recommend marinating the chicken at least 30 minutes before cooking. The best scenario is marinating the chicken 12 hours (overnight). You can use a large zipper bag or do what I do and just keep it in a large mixing bowl covered with wrap.
You can add blue cheese crumbles, if you wish. I did not have that as a required ingredient because there’s plenty of dairy with that dreamy and creamy Tzatziki sauce.
I know these Greek Chicken Bowls will be a welcome addition to your weekday meal prep!
- 3 cups cooked rice (1 cup dry rice)
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- 1/4 cup regular olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp fresh minced garlic, amount to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (about the juice of 2 lemons)
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt, or amount to taste
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 English cucumbers, peeled and sliced into quarters
- 1 1/2 lb grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red onion slices (about 1/2 large red onion)
- 1/3 fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 2 tbsp regular olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- Optional: feta crumbles, amount to taste for serving
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 English cucumber (about 1 cup), finely diced
- 1 tbsp fresh minced garlic, or preferred amount
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp dried mint (or 3/4 tsp fresh mint, chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper, amount to taste
- Combine the olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, Greek yogurt, Kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper. Stir with a whisk until combined. Add the chicken tenders and mix until the tenders are covered in the marinade. Marinade in the refrigerator for 1/2 hour or 12 hours overnight (preferred).
- After the chicken is marinated for long enough, heat a skillet with a drizzle of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken tenders. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side until browned. Remove from heat and cool on a plate before packing into containers.
- In a large bowl, mix the lemon juice, olive oil, red wine vinegar, minced garlic, dried oregano, and combine with a whisk. Add cut cucumbers, grape tomatoes and red onion slices. Toss until combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, finely minced English cucumber, minced garlic, dried dill weed, lemon juice, lemon zest, mint (optional), and salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the cooked rice into the 4 containers, add the cooked chicken over top of the rice. Add the cucumber-tomato salad to the other half of the container. You can add the Tzatziki Sauce on top or keep it on the side and add it before eating. Enjoy!
Home Chef Tips: 1. This recipe uses 4 (4 cup size) containers and all the food fits evenly in there. 2. I recommend marinating the chicken at least 30 minutes before cooking. The best scenario is marinating the chicken 12 hours (overnight). You can use a large zipper bag or do what I do and just keep it in a large mixing bowl covered with wrap.
We hope you enjoy these Greek Chicken Bowls from SoFabFood Home Chef, Sara from Life’s Little Sweets, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, be sure to visit our 30-Minute Meals Section for more delicious ways to make your week simpler. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!