Need a versatile side dish perfect for a weeknight meal? These French Pan Fried Potatoes and Onions are the answer. Pair this 5-ingredient side dish with chicken, steak, pork, or fish!
Raise your hand if you love potatoes and onions!
What if I tell you there’s a recipe that is easy and absolutely extraordinary and can make any main dish taste even better?
A few years ago, I shared with the readers of SoFabFood my recipe for French Scalloped Potatoes. This recipe alongside my Healthy Hasselback Potatoes are my top choices when it comes to transforming a regular potato into something remarkable.
But today, my friends, I want to show you something new and ridiculously simple. It’s also one of my favorite potato recipes!
You’ll love this 5-ingredient side dish!
French Pan Fried Potatoes and Onions is a classic French dish. In France they call it Potatoes à la Lyonnaise after the French city of Leon. The preparation is simple. First, you need to precook whole potatoes in boiling water and then sauté them in butter with slightly caramelized onions.
Delicious? You betcha.
Layers of crispy potatoes, onions, and fresh parsley create an ultimate side dish that will be gone before you know it. French Style Pan Fried Potatoes and Onions is an elegant accompaniment to any meal. Think pork chops, lamb chops, seared salmon, steak, and so much more.
It’s time to add new recipes to your menu. These French Pan Fried Potatoes are so delicious and a great choice for any occasion.
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 1 very large or 2 small onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- salt, pepper (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add whole potatoes. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Drain water, slightly cool the potatoes, and slice them to 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, until onions are slightly caramelized. Transfer the onions to a plate.
- To the same pan, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Working in batches, add sliced potatoes and cook on both sides for 3-4 minutes or until brown and cooked through. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan. You might need to add more butter to the pan. Season with salt and pepper if using. Transfer cooked potatoes to a plate.
- When all potatoes have been cooked, return them back to the pan along with the onions and gently heat through. Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkling of parsley!
Home Chef Tip: You can omit the boiling phase and cook the potatoes in the pan while they are still raw. In this case, I would recommend to slice the potatoes a little thinner, approximately 1/8 inch width.
We hope you enjoy this Pan Fried Potatoes and Onions recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Iryna from Lavender and Macarons, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Side Dish Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!