Fall flavors abound in this Cheesy Pumpkin Pasta Casserole with Maple Glazed Carrots. Whole-wheat pasta tossed in pumpkin cheese sauce which is a combination of pumpkin purée, sautéed garlic and onions, and fresh cheese.
What are your favorite fall flavors?
There is something magical about fall. The season certainly reminds us that “life is also in decay” by displaying the vivid transformation of leaves from lush green to gold or red with the changing weather. The splendor of autumn doesn’t just mean the bright red and orange hues around us that we revel in. In fact, mother earth gives us an opportunity to enjoy a bounty of fall vegetables, which include the sweet and buttery pumpkins. This fall-inspired Cheesy Pumpkin Pasta Casserole is wholesome and loaded with seasonal vegetables.
For a family get-together last Friday, I wanted to create something that not only resonates with the fall theme, but also something that was very nutritious. My fall pumpkin pasta casserole has whole-wheat pasta and a pumpkin cheese sauce which is a combination of pumpkin purée, sautéed garlic and onions, and fresh cheese.
Customize your pasta casserole!
You can make your own variation too. This dish is totally customizable. Toss some linguine in a cheesy pumpkin-cheddar sauce with roasted garlic and you will have your date-night dinner fixed. For a Keto version, use cauliflower florets instead. Believe it or not, cauliflower can successfully replace pasta yet taste great in this fall-inspired cheese sauce.
In my pasta dish, each ingredient adds a unique flavor. When mixed with the pasta, tossed with the sautéed veggies, and topped with maple glazed carrots, and more cheese, they create a sweet-cheesy and a very comforting flavor. Now that’s the type of dish I would cook again and again, and share with my loved ones.
No matter what variation you choose, or if you choose to just follow this recipe, every ingredient blends beautifully to create a delicious, wholesome, and flavorful dish. Want more fall-inspired recipes? Here is a Vegan Fall Curry Soup you’ll want to try!
- 12 oz dried pasta (Farfalle, Macaroni, or Rigatoni)
- A large stock pot and enough water to cook the pasta
- 3 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup water or broth
- 2 cup shredded cheese (Gruyere and Cheddar)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Fresh sage
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 carrots, sliced length-wise
- 3 tbsp Maple syrup
- ¼ cup Mozzarella cheese
- Few maple glazed carrot strips
- Fresh sage leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a casserole dish or a cast-iron pan and set aside.
- Cook Pasta: Bring enough water in a stock pot to a boiling temperature. Add salt and cook pasta in the salted boiling water according to the package directions. Drain; transfer the cooked pasta to large dish.
- Cook Veggies: In a non-stick frying pan, add 1 tsp of oil and cook the carrot slices until edges are brown (3-5 minutes each side). Once the carrots look cooked, add maple syrup and cook over medium-high heat until the carrot slices are glazed nicely and have brown char on them. Set aside. Deglaze the pan and add butter. Now add chopped garlic and allow to infuse in the butter. Add onions and cook until they look translucent and golden. Once onion is cooked, add sage leaves and give it a good mix. Season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Make Pumpkin-Cheese Sauce: Meanwhile, heat a large saucepan and add water over medium-high heat. Once the water is hot, add milk and stir well. Add pumpkin purée and give a good mix. Simmer the mixture for about 5-8 minutes until the sauce no longer looks runny. Stir in the cheese and the remaining ¼ cup of milk and mix well. Bring to boiling and cook for about 2-3 minutes until the sauce looks thick.
- Mix and Bake: Add 2/3 of the pumpkin-cheese sauce and the entire batch of onion-garlic mixture to the pasta and give a good mix. Toss well to combine and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Add the pasta and veggie mixture in a layer and sprinkle some cheese and add some glazed carrot pieces before adding another layer. Now, sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on the top. Add remaining carrot pieces. Bake the casserole for about 10-12 minutes until top is browned. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with your favorite main dish.
Home Chef Tip: Make this a one-pot meal by cooking the pasta and the sauce in your instant pot. Start by sautéing vegetables and set them aside. In the same pot, add water, milk, pumpkin, and pasta and pressure cook for five minutes. Quick release pressure and add the remaining milk, cheese, sage and give a good mix. Add the cheese on the top and bake for about 5-7 minutes until the top is brown. This instant pot method saves a lot of time.
We hope you enjoy this simple Cheesy Pumpkin Pasta Casserole from SoFabFood Home Chef, Chitra from My Dainty Soul Curry, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Side Dish section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!