Oven Fried Spanish Potatoes with Aioli are an easy and delicious take on the classic Spanish tapa, Patatas Aioli. You’ll love this Spanish-inspired dish!
In college, I was so lucky to be able to study abroad. I spent a semester living in Spain, taking in the beautiful history, learning the language, and of course, trying all the delicious food. Spain is known for their tapas, or small plates, and my friends and I enjoyed dinners of tapas nearly every night. Some Spanish tapas are very popular in America, such as Patatas Bravas, which is a fried potato with a spicy tomato sauce, but the lesser known version of a potato tapa is Patatas Aioli. Patatas Aioli are a fried potato topped with a garlicy aioli. They are one of my favorite Spanish foods and I have been dying to recreate a version of this dish at home.
Oven Fried Spanish Potatoes with Aioli
I made a semi-homemade aioli and used store-bought mayonnaise as the base. A true Spanish version would use a raw egg, whisked until it formed a mayonnaise-like consistency. I prefer to not cook with raw eggs right now, as my baby has her hands in all my meals, but if you are okay with it, definitely go for a homemade aioli!
Fried potatoes are so delicious, but to shave some calories off of this meal, I fried my potatoes in the oven. They got just as crispy with a soft, chewy inside. Once you douse them with this delicious aioli sauce, you will seriously be amazed by how much flavor this simple side dish recipe has! The aioli is full of flavor with garlic, lemon, and parsley.
Spanish tapas are perfect for entertaining! Set out a big plate of good Spanish ham and cheese, some crusty bread and olive oil, and of course, these Oven Fried Spanish Potatoes with Aioli, and you will have a simple, but delicious, Spanish-inspired meal!
- 5 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup good quality mayonnaise
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup peanut or canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Pour oil on a baking sheet and put sheet in the oven while oven preheats.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on the potatoes and place in the oven. Cook for 15 minutes. While they cook, prepare the aioli.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic cloves, and parsley. Whisk together until smooth and combined.
- Once potatoes have cooked for 15 minutes, remove from oven and stir. Put back in oven for 5-10 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Once potatoes are done, remove from oven and sprinkle with smoked paprika. Let cool for 2-3 minutes and then put in a serving bowl. Drizzle aioli over the potatoes and serve. Best served immediately.
Home Chef Tip: By putting an oiled sheet pan in the oven while it preheats, you get a really hot pan that crisps up the potatoes on contact.
We hope you love this Oven Fried Spanish Potatoes with Aioli recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Amanda from Old House to New Home, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this delicious recipe, be sure to check out our other side dish recipes for more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and for daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!