This easy Crispy Almond Top Apple Cake is seriously the best apple cake recipe you’ll ever need! With a few healthier twists, you can enjoy this delicious treat without all of the guilt.
Everyone loves apples and cake, right? Today I’m sharing my Crispy Almond Top Apple Cake so you can enjoy them both together. It’s a healthier classic of a traditional favorite and I’m sure you’re going to love it too!
What makes this so special?
Glad you asked! First of all, my apple cake recipe is literally loaded with apples. Just imagine eating a cake that is chock-full of your favorite fruit. Yummy!
Second of all, this apple cake is almost flourless. In fact, for the whole recipe I’ve only used 1/2 cup of flour and two tablespoons of butter. I’ve also used less sugar and ended up adding only nine tablespoons of it. Apples are sweet naturally, so no more sugar is needed.
Crispy Almond Top Apple Cake Recipe
My favorite part about this melt-in-your-mouth apple cake is its crispy top. At the end of the baking, I poured over a layer of beaten egg with sugar and sprinkled with some sliced almonds. The result is a nice and moderately-sweet crispy top that you can’t help but love!
Start off by combining flour, sugar, and baking powder. Add beaten eggs and whisk well.
Add milk, vanilla extract, and whisk it altogether.
Pour in melted butter and once again give everything a nice whisk.
Now, on to the apples. Peal the apples, core and quarter them. Thinly slice each quarter of the apple widthwise.
Add sliced apples in a bowl with flour and milk mixture and mix everything well.
Now, transfer the mixture into a greased springform pan and bake at 390ºF for 25 minutes.
While the cake is baking, whisk together an egg with some sugar. After 25 minutes, pour the egg-sugar mixture over the cake, sprinkle with a tad more sugar and lots of sliced almond. Give the cake another 10-15 minutes and voila! Moist apple filling with a crusty almond top is calling your name!
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 3 large apples
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- a handful of sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 390ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Add beaten eggs and whisk well.
- Add milk, vanilla extract, and whisk it altogether.
- Pour in melted butter and once again give everything a nice whisk.
- Peel the apples, core and quarter them. Thinly slice each quarter of the apple widthwise.
- Add sliced apples in a bowl with flour and milk mixture and mix everything well.
- Transfer the mixture into a greased springform pan and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together an egg with butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar. After 25 minutes, pour the egg-sugar mixture over the cake, sprinkle with 1 more tablespoon of sugar and lots of sliced almond.
- Bake the cake another 10-15 minutes until the top has a brown crust.
Home Chef Tip: In this recipe you can easily substitute pears for apples. Just make sure to choose firm types of pears (eg Bartlett Pear).
Try my easy Crispy Almond Top Apple Cake and I have no doubt, it will sure to become your favorite.
We hope you love this Crispy Almond Top Apple Cake recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Iryna from Lavender and Macarons, as much as we do. If you love this delightful recipe, stop by our Dessert Section to find more like it. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!