Your summer isn’t complete until you make these individual bowls of Lemon Berry Shortcake à la Mode. Juicy, seasonal berries add bright colors and fresh flavors to this lemony shortcake covered in delicious ice cream.
Lemon Berry Shortcake à la Mode
Cold creamy ice cream, sweet lemony shortcake, mounds of fresh berries…This Lemon Berry Shortcake à la Mode is all the yummy summery things in one delightful bowl.
Lemon Berry Shortcake à la Mode will sound so fancy when you serve them after a dinner party on the patio, but I’ll tell you a secret: they’re ridiculously simple to make. The shortcakes are essentially sweetened up drop biscuits. Start to finish, you can whip some up in twenty minutes or less, including cooking time.
Lemon zest brings in some brightness and nicely offsets the sweetness of the ice cream. Who doesn’t love a good lemon and berry combo? You could go the extra mile and make homemade vanilla ice cream to top your berry shortcakes à la mode, or you can make your life easy and grab a half gallon from the grocery store.
Either way, the berries are the real star of this show. Although strawberries are always a classic with shortcake, blueberries and raspberries are some of my family’s favorites so we always add them to the mix. I’m drooling just thinking about it. Pick your favorites and pile them on!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- zest from 1 lemon (optional)
- vanilla ice cream
- fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries, sliced strawberries, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or sturdy fork, blend with dry ingredients. Mixture will be dry and crumbly.
- Pour in buttermilk, milk, egg, and lemon zest, and mix with pastry blender or fork until just combined.
- Drop dough in ¼ to ⅓ sized dollops onto prepared baking pan, leaving an inch or two between shortcakes.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges just start to turn golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks. Serve slightly warm or completely cooled, topped with vanilla ice cream and your choice of berries.
We hope you love this recipe for Lemon Berry Shortcake à la Mode from SoFabFood Contributor, Jen from Real Life on Purpose, as much as we do. If you like this recipe, be sure to stop by our desserts section for even more like it. Don’t forget to subscribe to our newsletter so that you never miss a single recipe, and be sure to like us on Facebook and find us on Pinterest for even more fabulous dessert inspiration. Enjoy!