Learn how to make this beautiful Homemade Apple Pie recipe for Mother’s Day. A classic dessert that incorporates the fresh flavor of apples with a flaky pie crust. The ingredients merge together to create an irresistible treat with exquisite flavors!
Homemade Apple Pie Recipe
Soon it will be Mother’s Day and what better way to celebrate than baking a Homemade Apple Pie recipe for that very important person in our life, just as she alone deserves? It is a very special day to gather with our loved ones to share a good meal followed by a delicious homemade dessert that carries the love and deep admiration we have for our moms.
A good dessert should never be missing from the table. In addition to providing us the opportunity to share a good conversation with family, this dessert is a great way to culminate the taste tour our palate makes during the meal. Today’s recipe is one of those homemade must haves. A light and delicious addition to the meal that fills the gap in our stomachs that remains after the meal and sweetens our lives during the celebration.
This Mother’s Day, celebrate Mom at home. Forget leaving the house, the chaos and traffic of the city, and the long lines in restaurants. Opt to stay at home and prepare this delicious Homemade Apple Pie recipe instead. Don’t forget that beyond the dessert, the main purpose of the celebration is love. It is the most important and essential ingredient in any dish prepared for our loved ones.
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 4 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp fine salt
- 14 tbsp unsalted butter, diced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten with 2 tbsp cold water
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 green apples
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- A pinch of pecans, crushed
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- In a medium sized bowl mix the flour, sugar, and salt. With your fingers, work the butter on the dry ingredients until you get a kind of yellow cornmeal mixed with small pieces of butter the size of a bean. Add the egg and mix the dough with a fork or by hand. If the dough is too dry, add a tablespoon of cold water to the mixture.
- Cut the dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into disks 11 to 12 inches in width. Place each half on parchment paper or waxed paper. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes.
- Empty the lemon juice into a medium sized bowl. Peel, cut in half, and remove the core of the apples. Cut each half into 8 wedges. Mix the apples with the lemon juice and add the sugar. Mix evenly.
- Melt the butter over medium high heat in a large skillet. Add the apples and cook by stirring for 2 minutes until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to boil. Cover and reduce to medium low heat. Cook for an additional 7 minutes or until apples are softened and release most of their juices.
- Strain the apples over a medium bowl to get all the juice. Return the juices to the pan and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat until the mixture thickens and slightly caramelizes.
- Mix apples with reduced juice, pecans, and ground cinnamon in a medium bowl. Allow to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Place one of the dough disks in a pie mold leaving about 1/2 inch over the edge of the mold. Add the apple filling over the dough.
- With a pizza cutter, cut the second dough disc into 1/2 inch strips. Place the strips of dough spaced in an interweaved way over the entire pie. Cut the excess from the strips of dough and attach each with the bottom edge of the crust, with a fork decorate the edge. Brush the surface of the dough with the egg and then sprinkle with a little sugar.
- Bake the apple pie for 50 to 60 minutes until the crust is golden. Cool for at least 3 hours before serving.
Home Chef Tip: Accompany each slice of apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
We hope you enjoy this Homemade Apple Pie recipe from SoFabFood Contributor, Gilda from El Tintero de Mama, as much as we do. If you love this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Dessert Section. For daily recipe inspiration, like us on Facebook and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!