Caramelized Roasted Carrots are the perfect light side dish to serve with chicken or fish. Just four simple ingredients turn these farmers market fresh carrots into an amazing side dish that’s perfect for a weeknight dinner or for entertaining guests.
Is there anything better than strolling through your local farmers market in the summer? I love seeing all of the summer produce at its peak, and I especially enjoy getting to sample small bites from each of the vendors as I wander through the stands.
What’s your favorite farmers market find?
One of my favorite items to buy at the farmers market is bunches of whole carrots. I swear they taste so much better than when you buy them at a regular grocery store. The best way I’ve found to cook these carrots is to roast them in the oven at a high temperate and get them very crispy.
In order to bring out the natural sweetness from the carrots, I create a rub using coconut sugar, sea salt, and ground black pepper. Even just a small amount of sugar helps to kickstart the caramelization process during baking. When they’re finished baking, you’re left with melt-in-your-mouth Caramelized Roasted Carrots.
If you’re serving these Caramelized Roasted Carrots while entertaining guests, I recommend saving some of the leaves from the top of the carrot bunch and using them as garnish. Enjoy!
- 0.5 lb whole carrots, washed, peeled, and tops trimmed*
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the peeled carrots onto the parchment paper and brush evenly with the olive oil.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, salt, and pepper. Rub the sugar mixture onto the carrots and coat evenly.
- Bake the carrots in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, then flip and bake for another 20-30 minutes, until very soft and caramelized. Baking time will vary depending on the thickness of your carrots, so watch to ensure that they do not burn.
- Remove from oven, taste, and season with additional salt if needed.
Home Chef Tip: If carrots vary in thickness, cut the largest ones in half or quarters so that the pieces are even.
We hope you enjoy this Caramelized Roasted Carrots recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Rachel from Little Chef Big Appetite, as much as we do. If you love this light side dish, you can find more like it by visiting our Side Dish Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!