This dairy-free Roasted Cauliflower Parsnip Apple Mash made with less than 10 ingredients is the gluten-free side dish you need on your holiday menu instead of boring mashed potatoes.
The holidays are right around the corner, and I don’t know about you, but I’m already searching for the perfect gluten-free and dairy-free recipes to round out my holiday meals. While I love a good holiday staple like turkey, mashed potatoes, and stuffing, sometimes I’m looking for a recipe with a little extra pizzazz or a twist. This Roasted Cauliflower Parsnip Apple Mash is exactly that! A twist on an old favorite. You guessed it – mashed potatoes!
Roasted Cauliflower Parsnip Apple Mash
Instead of using potatoes in this recipe, we’re using cauliflower, parsnip, and apple as the base for our mash. What we come up with is something that is slightly earthy, savory, and sweet all at the same time. You don’t get an overwhelming apple flavor in this recipe, just a slight sweetness that balances the cauliflower and parsnips so well. Combine with a few herbs and spices and we’re ready to eat. Garlic and green onion take this recipe from basic vegetable mash to super flavorful mash!
This Roasted Cauliflower Parsnip Apple Mash makes a great side with turkey or ham, but it’s also a perfect option for our vegetarian and vegan friends, as the whole recipe is vegan! As a dairy-free household, we used dairy-free butter and almond milk in this recipe. Just make sure your almond milk is unsweetened and unflavored because no one wants vanilla flavored almond milk in their mash, right? If you’re okay with dairy, feel free to use regular cow’s milk and butter in this recipe – it will still taste wonderful!
You’ll love how easy it is to whip up this fun twist on mashed potatoes using cauliflower, parsnips, and apples! Your guests will love the flavor combination and you’ll be getting lots of vegetables on your plate without even realizing it! Who knew that vegetables could taste so good?
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 large parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 tbsp oil (olive oil, avocado oil, and canola oil all work)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2-3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbsp vegan butter or regular dairy butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp green onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss cauliflower, parsnips, and apples with two tablespoons of oil.
- Spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 35-45 minutes, until lightly charred and parsnips are able to be pierced through easily.
- Immediately transfer to a high powered blender. Add garlic, almond milk, butter, salt, and black pepper. Pulse until smooth.
- If you like your mash on the thinner side, add the additional 1/4 cup almond milk until you reach the desired consistency.
- Place in a bowl and stir in green onion. Serve while hot.
Home Chef Tip: This recipe is a great make-ahead side. Do all of the work before your guests arrive and just reheat in the oven.
We hope you love this Roasted Cauliflower Parsnip Apple Mash recipe from SoFabFood Home Chef, Megan from A Dash of Megnut, as much as we do. If you enjoyed this recipe, you can find more like it by visiting our Side Dish Section. For daily recipe inspiration, subscribe to our newsletter, like us on Facebook, and follow us on Pinterest. Enjoy!